Thursday, January 05, 2006

I Gotta Admit That I’m a Little Bit Confused, Sometimes it Seems to Me as if I’m Just Being Used

Thursday. I am still trying to fight off this sinus drainage thing, but so far I have been unsuccessful. I had another rough night of no sleep last night despite a dose of Nyquil and a couple Advil. I've tried all varieties of medicines and nothing seems to make much of a difference. However, I have found that combining loopy sinus medicine and sleep deprivation leads to a very surreal form of consciousness. If it wasn't for this killer sore throat or the stapler on my desk singing Camptown Races, I think I might actually enjoy this.

Other than that, not much going on here at work. I uploaded the website this morning and now I am trying to work on some more collections. I have a tough act to follow up from last month, but hopefully I can stay on my current upswing. So far since I've come back into collections every month's numbers have progressively got better. Are you paying attention Big Boss Lady?

Since I didn't really have anything specific in mind to listen to this morning, I decided to just make this "Pink Floyd Week" and selected Animals. Despite being quadruple platinum in the US alone, this album is often overlooked and underappreciated in the Pink Floyd catalogue. One of the reasons for this is the overall feel of the album and its lack of assessable radio singles. On this album you can really sense Roger Waters asserting his creative control over the rest of the band (which eventually led to a huge fight with the other members and Waters' eventual departure down the line). Waters is a big fan of the concept album (for reference please see The Wall, The Final Cut, every one of his solo albums, etc) and here each track designates one of the categories of animals into which we as humans fall: dogs, pigs, or sheep. "Dogs" are the backstabbing string-pullers of the world, "pigs" are the politicians, and the "sheep" comprise everybody else who blindly follows the dogs and the pigs. Waters' inner angst begins to surface on Animals, and later fully reveals itself on The Wall and especially The Final Cut. This album is also famous for its album cover depicting a flying pig over an industrial factory. After the release of this album, the flying pig was a mainstay at Floyd concerts often seen hovering over the crowd.

While I personally enjoy listening to this album, I find it hard to recommend to others. Unless you are fan of the Roger Waters socio-political Pink Floyd era works, you probably wouldn't care too much for Animals. If you are a big fan of The Final Cut or any of Waters' solo albums you probably already own this one so it is useless to recommend it. However, if you like what you've heard on other PF albums and are interested in hearing more of what this band has to offer, pick this one up. It's not bad (especially when taking sinus meds on no sleep...).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home