Wednesday, February 22, 2006

There are Things We Can’t Recall, Blind as Night that Finds Us All

Wednesday. My already weak grip on sanity is slowly loosening. Until about 10:00 this morning I thought it was Thursday and I actually started uploading the receivables website and everything until I finally straightened myself out. Now this may sound funny, but this is incredibly unlike me. This incident has seriously shaken my confidence in my own mind. Sure, I've highly questioned my sanity in other areas of my brain lots of times, but at least I've been able to keep track of what day it is. I think I've over-taxed my brain lately. I feel bewildered and disoriented. I think I need a vacation. That's not going to happen any time soon. Good thing it's Friday, I could use a weekend.

As faithful readers know, I'm always out looking for new music to review. One of the ways I find new music is by looking at the "if you like this band, you'll like this band" recommendations on Amazon or playing around in Live Plasma (this site is pretty cool, check it out). That's how I came across today's band: Do you like The Shins? Yep. Death Cab for Cutie? Sure. Built to Spill? Most definitely. Modest Mouse? Darn tootin'! Well, then you'll like... Iron & Wine!

I've been familiar with Iron & Wine ever since they appeared on the Garden State soundtrack awhile back. I never really picked anything up by them for some reason or another until recently, though. I don't know why. Let's just say I was saving it to make today special. Anyway, I've probably already ticked off a bunch of I&W fans that are just itching to point out that this "band" is actually just one guy, Sam Beam. Well, you're right, but he did bring on session musicians for the album I listened to today, Our Endless Numbered Days, so I do have an argument back (however weak it may be).

This album is incredibly mellow and features mostly acoustical sounds and soft vocals by Mr. Beam. I really liked this album, but I could only picture myself listening it in certain situations. I would not, say, crank these tunes right before entering the final round of the Ultimate Fighting Championships. No, these tracks seem more suited for a quiet night at home when unobtrusive music is called for. You know, like laying in bed healing your broken bones after getting your behind whooped in the final round of the Ultimate Fighting Championships.

Recommended tracks: Each Coming Night, Passing Afternoon, and Naked as We Came

1 Comments:

Blogger katya said...

thank you for the Plasma link, it's a superb site, i love the design!...very colourful, artistic and wonderfully laid out
(reminds me of planet mobiles)
the links to Amazon are also helpful...
i do find that if i enter a band i like others that i like do appear in the general "grid"...there are some band names that i find rather "coded"...like puzzles...i suppose most of us are like that, wanting people to try to understand our complexity and yet wanting to remain aloof in our self-created enigmatic self-styled states, don't you think? i realize this creates some isolation however, and yet sometimes it's just how i prefer it...afterall i'm more katlike ...independent
what are you like?

Thursday, February 23, 2006 11:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home