Friday, February 17, 2006

This is the Mystery of the Quotient: Upon Us All a Little Rain Must Fall

Friday. Yeah! Despite another long, crappy commute today has definitely gone better than yesterday. Not that today has been fantastically phenomenal or anything, it has just been far more relaxed after a week or so of some pretty busy workdays. I've actually gotten a few things accomplished today. I got my treasury reports taken care of (which were due early thanks to the short month), I finished my Friday account update for the Big Boss Lady, and now I am working on my post-upload spreadsheet. I know, that sounds unbelievably exciting. Not everyone can handle the wild ride popularly known as receivables accounting...

On billydwilson's suggestion the other day, I chose Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy to listen to on the way into work. Ok, I'll just come clean. I am a huge Led Zeppelin fan. I know for some people that this brings up connotations that I'm some kind of macrobrew-swillin' mullet-wearin' classic rock guy who has yet to realize that there has been quality music released beyond circa-1983. Well, I'll have you all know that I certainly DO NOT wear a mullet.

Anyway, I have been enamored with Zep since I was about 13. Unlike other bands, I have not lost any of this admiration as I've grown older. Sure, some songs like Stairway to Heaven are over-hyped and overplayed, but some of the deeper, lesser-known Zep tunes are unbelievably phenomenal. I think it was billy and I who used to argue back in the day which was the best Zep album: Led Zeppelin III or Houses of the Holy. I still waiver back and forth on this one. HotH is pretty darn good. I had another friend in college who contended that Over the Hills and Far Away exhibited the best lyrics of any song of all time. While I won't argue that Over the Hills is a good tune, I prefer the lyrics of The Rain Song (also appearing on HotH) a whole lot more. Not one of the tracks on this album disappoint, with the James Brown tribute The Crunge being a particularly fun number. Other wacky HotH trivia: the song Houses of the Holy doesn't actually appear on this album (it's on Physical Graffiti). The album title refers to the concert halls that fans dubbed "the houses of the holy" when Zep came to town. The "ocean" in The Ocean refers to those aforementioned fans. The coloring on the album cover was not intentional. It occurred as a result of a printing error. When I was 14 my mother made me return a T-shirt featuring said album cover because she found it scandalously offensive (why do you think I bought it, mom?).

To wrap up, I highly recommend Houses of the Holy although I suspect that a significant number of you are still hesitant to pick it up. Those of you who are hesitant, pick up Led Zeppelin I and Led Zeppelin II first and give them a good listen. I think that should be enough to convince you to forget about images and embrace the quintessence of rock and roll music.

2 Comments:

Blogger katya said...

i just found your blog and am enjoying the music reviews, thank you for mentioning John Lennon, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Marvin Gaye along with the newer bands.
The easy way in which you blend your daily activities and thoughts with musical antecdotes shows your eloquence with words and is similar to the way i function, always finding words and music to mirror my own present reality;
i'm finding alot of people on here do the same thing, which speaks to the power of music to connect

Monday, February 20, 2006 1:27:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Hello katya, thanks for dropping by and your kind words.

Music definitely plays a big role in my life, and being able to discuss it here brings me one of the few pleasures I experience in an otherwise dreary workday.

I'm glad you enjoyed what you found here. Please visit again anytime.

Monday, February 20, 2006 3:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home