Thursday, February 09, 2006

Grab Hold of the Soul Where the Memory Lingers

Thursday. The day is flyin' by today, and that's ok with me. I've kept myself fairly busy today. I uploaded the website database, I approved some orders, and I did some other stuff that I'm sure was important but I can't think of it right now. The real entertainment here today is watching the branch flip out because they were just informed that the company was centralizing bookkeeping at HQ, but I've known this for months since I've got a contact on the inside. Plus, I work for corporate, not the branch, so I've already been sending my applications there anyway.

I related a little while back that I have been running an experiment on another blog of mine in which I wanted to design a site, put some ads on it, and market it just to see how lucrative an enterprise of this kind actually is. Well, as of two days ago I have earned in less than one month's time a remarkable 78 cents from this venture! I was discussing this amazing accomplishment with lampsidebriefcase, and he asked what the cumulative earnings would be over a ten-year period. I responded that at this rate, I would make a whopping $93.60 in today's dollars. However, lampside advised that I was neglecting to take into consideration my growth rate percentage. I agreed, so I calculated my percentage of growth to be 3%, and then used that to forecast my future revenues. I did this by taking my current earnings of .78 and set that as the total earnings for the first month (give or take a few days). Then I made the assumption that I would have the .78 from that first month, and then earn another .78 plus the 3% growth of those earnings. Or previous Month's Earnings + Previous Month's Earnings + 3% of the Previous Month's Earnings for 120 periods (12 months x 10 years). The formula looks like this: [PME+PME+(PME*.03)]^120. According to my calculations, assuming a constant rate of growth, in ten years I will have earned $3,048,759,133,329,920,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.00! Who said that the dot com boom went bust? Lampside said he liked the numbers and volunteered to fund the operation (I'll need your 78 cents now, sir). If anyone else wants in at the ground floor of this amazing opportunity, please leave a comment below.

A graduate degree in business and what am I using it for? To calculate the growth rate of 78 cents. Man, that was worth it. On the plus side, though, if this pans out I may actually be able to pay back all of those student loans...

Oh, I listened to Get Behind Me Satan by the White Stripes on the drive into work. At first I was like, "eh" because I found the few leadoff tracks to be unimpressive. Then I heard My Doorbell. I really liked this one. It was fun and funky. I liked the next few songs as well, especially Little Ghost. After a slow start I was really getting into this album. Then the disastrous happened. The batteries to my iPod radio transmitter started dying on me. I tried flipping them around to squeeze out a little extra juice, but to now avail. So now I don't know whether to get behind Get Behind Me Satan or not. I only heard 8 out of 13 songs. The beginning was weak, but it was on an up curve. Does the curve continue to progress skyward, or are the last few tracks an unimpressive bookend to the beginning? I hate to be anticlimactic, but I am going to have to suspend judgment for now until I hear more. I just can't justify a final opinion without hearing 5 songs on the album.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home