Friday, February 03, 2006

I am a Proud Man Anyway

Friday. Ok, I've been in a slump lately and apparently it is starting to reflect in my posts because billydwilson called me on it. So, I promised him that today's post would be full of exuberance. That being said, let's start again...

Friday! Yee haw! Guess what?! Today I relished the amazing opportunity to work on my post-upload spreadsheet report! I also put together a fabulous summary bill and made some incredible supplier payments! In the meantime I fantastically approved orders from outstanding unapproved vendors! I don't know if this job could get any better! I would do this for free! Can I come in tomorrow?!

Ok, that's about enough of that. My exuberance over today's music selection, however, is quite genuine. Ritual de lo Habitual by Jane's Addiction is a phenomenally amazing album. I am a huge Jane's fan. Everything that Perry Ferrell does is pure genius. Have you ever seen this guy? In interviews he comes across as scrawny, effeminate, and squeaky-voiced yet somehow his music and vocals can be incredibly powerful. The song Three Days is an excellent example of this. Three days is a mind-blowing masterpiece of music. One of Jane's best tricks is in their build up. They start out slow and then build and build the energy until Perry and the band just explodes. Three Days also displays the masterful guitar work of a Mr. Dave Navarro, of whom a whole unfortunate generation lay unaware of his prowess prior to cheesing out on reality shows with Carmen Electra. All of the other songs on the album are great as well, including Been Caught Stealing, which despite all of its radio play never fails to please. I highly, highly recommend this album. Jane's Addiction were pioneers in alternative music long before alternative became the mainstream. This album is what rock and roll is all about, and is a must have for anyone who considers him or herself an aficionado of the genre.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

Nice blog.

While I don't consider myself an expert on Jane's Addiction, I did really love the entire Kettle Whistle Album. I've got to disagree with you on Daves guitar chops though. Sorry. He does fit into J.A. very nicely though. I dig some of the old photos of those guys. Seeing them photographed in the early 90's reminds me of how far ahead of their time that band was.

Friday, February 03, 2006 3:21:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Old photos? Like this one? This one would be pretty good, too, if it wasn't so grainy.

I really liked Kettle Whistle as well. My Cat's Name is Maceo is a pretty sweet tune, as well as So What!. Sure, Dave's no Jimi Hendrix and I seriously question his past few career moves, but he was smokin' with Jane's.

Btw, I see you're a Modest Mouse fan. I am a huge fan of the double-M. Have you ever heard Ugly Casanova?

Friday, February 03, 2006 8:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home