Thursday, April 20, 2006

Dreamers May Leave But They’re Here Ever After

Thursday. Man, what a busy day. Today was website upload day and it decided to be a big pain for me. Actually, it wasn't the upload process itself, per se, but I couldn't get access to data necessary to upload the database fully so that was holding me back for most of the day. I never did get an answer back from the couple of people whom I asked for help, so I eventually had to run it without it. I'm sure the customer will complain, but hey, it was their data from their server I couldn't access so don't blame me for your problems.

Other than that I spent the day trying to clean up some things and working on vendor issues. Fun times. The big boss lady said that she ran the receivables report and my prior column (receivables over 120 days old) is now in the $800-900k range, as opposed to $2.3 million last August. Rock on! Plus, things are looking pretty good for May as well, so things are definitely looking good for me in the collections world.

Continuing on with my theme of "lead singers who put out solo projects but still sound like their original band," I selected David Gilmour of Pink Floyd's solo album On an Island. Much not to my surprise, this album sounds a lot like later Gilmour-era Pink Floyd. For those of you familiar with The Division Bell, think of a more minimal version of that album. Mr. Gilmour enjoys exploring themes on his releases (much like all Pink Floyd albums) and after reading the lyrics for these tracks, it appears that this album is dedicated to his family and memories of them. You can tell this is a very personal work. A notable departure from the typical Floyd sound is Smile, which due to its happy tempo seems out of place on this otherwise mellow album. Also of note, Graham Nash and David Crosby make a cameo appearance on the title track. I recommend this album. Gilmour's vocals sound as fresh as they did on Momentary Lapse of Reason and the music is very tight. If you like Pink Floyd (which I do a lot), you will like this album for sure.

2 Comments:

Blogger sassinak said...

congratulations with the receivables man, that's pretty cool stuff. so is pink floyd actually.

i still just get off on wish you were here...

:)

Thursday, April 20, 2006 11:42:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Hey Sass-

Thanks. I'm not usually the kind of guy that blows his own horn, but I've been really pumped about my progress lately. I ran into kind of a stall for a few months and then Boom! everything started shaking loose. It's pretty cool, not to mention it has caught the attention of the higher ups...

I flip back and forth between whether Wish You Were Here or Dark Side of the Moon is my favorite PF album, mostly because I flip back and forth on whether Wish You Were Here or Time is my favorite PF song... of course Us and Them is a pretty good tune as well...

Friday, April 21, 2006 7:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home