Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Suddenly it Appears to Me You Got a Bit Much Dignity For Your Own Good, Boy

Wednesday. As you all have probably noticed, my posts have been fairly lame lately. I think there are several reasons for this. First, I have been super busy lately. This increased level of activity here at work has (quite unfortunately) greatly reduced the amount of time I can dedicate to writing these posts. As a result, they come off rushed and devoid of substance. Being busy has also inadvertently stifled the main inspiration for this blog: my immense boredom at work. Don't get me wrong, this place isn't all of a sudden a fountain of excitement, but having to get all of these things done has kinda cut into the time I usually dedicate to staring at the clock and thinking of clever things to entertain myself. I'm happy to be busy here at work and to actually be getting a lot accomplished lately, but I lament the fact that the quality of this blog has suffered as a result. For that, I apologize, and please bear with me. This flow of activity is bound to ebb, and then Inaction will return to its normal levels of quality and boringness that you have all come to expect.

By the way, I'm collecting a whole lot of old $$$ this month and the Big Boss Lady is noticing. I'm hoping she notices me all the way into a promotion, but I'm not counting on it. A boy can dream, though, can't he?

I still don't have any new music to review, so I busted out one of my old CDs: Sailing the Seas of Cheese by Primus. This is arguably Primus' best album (I'm sure some would say Pork Soda) with classic tracks that include Sgt. Baker, Is This Luck?, and Jerry Was a Race Car Driver. My favorite song on this album, though, is Tommy the Cat featuring Tom Waits (I have a cat named Tom, btw). It's a really fun track and killer to hear live. In fact, all Primus songs are better live, but that tends to be the case with most bands (Smashing Pumpkins being the exception; I saw them twice and both shows are up there with the worst I've ever seen). I saw Primus in a small arena (around 2,000 people) with Lampsidebriefcase and you could just feel the bass bouncing off of your chest. Les just let it fly and totally jammed out. I was supposed to see Primus another time, but I missed their set due to a notoriously late friend of mine. Around the time they were taking the stage, this guy was just getting into the shower. Oh, well. I don't hold it against him. You kind of expect that to happen when you hang out with this guy (Lampside and Billy, you know who I'm talking about...). On a side note, this guy is now a lead singer in a rock band that makes enough $ from gigs that he doesn't have to hold down a full-time day job. I work in accounts receivable.

Anyway, I think I was talking about Primus or something. Oh, yeah. Primus is cool, especially if you like to hear the bass guitar. Most of the lyrics cleverly dwell on the absurd. Les Claypool's voice is fairly distinct, but that just adds to the whole Primus package. I don't think that Sailing the Seas of Cheese would be everyone's cup of tea, but I recommend it just the same. Mr. Claypool is a master of his craft, and any aspiring music aficionado should be familiar with his large contributions to the rock genre.

Finally, in order to cure the recent lameness and to spark some discussion I decided to test out a new feature to this blog: the DAILY QUESTION! (well, I never said it was an original feature...)

Today's question is: A lot of people consider Les Claypool to be the best bass guitarist of all time. Do you agree or disagree? If disagree, who do you consider to be the best? Flea? Geddy Lee? Some other individual?

Please answer in a grammatically correct, 5-paragraph essay with clear supports and transitional sentences. Thank you.

1 Comments:

Blogger john said...

With about 10 minutes dedicated to each part complete with complimentary lyrical ode sung in dedication to each of those said parts...

Friday, April 14, 2006 4:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home