Friday, April 14, 2006

See Through You Like Cellophane; You watch the World Complain, But You Do it Anyway

Friday. Yeah! Today has gone reasonably well, I guess. I have spent a good part of the day trying to clean up our miscellaneous adjustment account. I am pretty much doing this on my own prerogative since it is so completely messy no one wants to touch it. When I told the Big Boss Lady what I was doing this morning, she laughed and said "Good luck!" Hey, if I can find some credits out on this thing that I can use to clear some of these old items, then it will all be worth it. If not, then hey, at least with my reference notes it won't be quite as messy the next time someone dares to try to make sense of it. Other than that I am working on collections and trying to bring in what $$$ I can before the end of the month.

Faithful readers know that on Fridays I like to listen to something fairly upbeat in order to start the weekend off right. This morning I needed something pretty rockin' to get me going because I was super dragging. It wasn't to the point that I needed to call upon the power of the Beastie Boys, but something close. Who could be rockin' yet upbeat, fun and Friday-like for this morning's commute? The Ramones! Yeah! I love the Ramones. I've been a fan since I was like 13. These guys are great. However, you know what? I've been really bothered lately by the commercialization of this fine band. Ok, Blitzkrieg Bop has been featured in commercials for a few years now, but I recently saw a movie trailer for a Robin Williams movie that featured Bonzo Goes to Bitburg in the soundtrack. Ok, that song was written as a political reaction to seeing then-President Reagan laying wreaths on the graves of fallen Nazi soldiers in Germany. This song was NOT written to sell a movie about a family who encounters a multitude of zany mishaps during their summer RV trip. When I saw that my brain really was hanging upside down. And you want to know what else bugs me? Well, I'll tell you anyway. Celebrities wearing Ramones T-shirts like they are the latest new fashion item. I keep seeing the exact same shirt on a variety of celebs. It's the blue-gray one with the Ramones logo in the middle and all of the band members' names circling around it. Jennifer Garner? Ok, maybe. Paris Hilton? NO FREAKING WAY! I somehow seriously doubt Ms. Hilton is a diehard Ramones fan. I'm guessing that the closest connection that Paris has with the band is if they trashed one of the Hilton hotel rooms back in the '70s.

Ok, sorry about that. I apologize Ms. Hilton if you are indeed the biggest Ramones fan ever. What's your favorite Ramones tune? I'm guessing it's Pinhead. Ok, sorry about that one, too. It's just too easy. Anyway, readers, the Ramones rock. I did a previous review of them way back here if you want to check it out. Otherwise I'm going check out. Have a good weekend everybody. I need to take a couple deep breaths now.

5 Comments:

Blogger sassinak said...

oh so many
sedated
rockn'roll high school
lobotomy
blitzkrieg bob
*fades off into indistinct mutters...*

Friday, April 14, 2006 9:16:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Oh, trust me, Sass, I could come up with a pretty long list myself. Those guys rule, for sure.

Saturday, April 15, 2006 9:45:00 AM  
Blogger sassinak said...

so you must therefore also have a small space in your heart reserved for the forgotten rebels?

:)

Saturday, April 15, 2006 1:11:00 PM  
Blogger sassinak said...

okay i just can't get over that i typed blitzkrieg bob

Saturday, April 15, 2006 2:54:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Oh, I forgot about them...

Actually, I'm not that familiar (a situation I will correct immediately). My years 13-15 were spent listening to a steady diet of The Ramones, Misfits, Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys, Suicidal Tendencies, etc. I also totally dig Bad Relgion and Social Distortion. I can't stand this fake punk pop stuff that's on the radio right now. Yuck!

Don't worry, I understood the song title you meant. Although I think Blitzkrieg Bob was someone I met out at a bar the other night... (or was that blitzed Bob?)

Sunday, April 16, 2006 9:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home