Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I Need to Get Born, I Need to Get Dead; I’m Sick of the Forms, I’m Sick of Being Misread

Wednesday. I had a doctor's appointment this morning. Faithful readers will remember that I finally broke down and went to an Ear, Nose & Throat doctor last month to get checked out after a lifetime of not being able to breath through my nose. Ok, I shouldn't say, "can't" because I can, but it is extremely difficult. I mean I have to really try at it most of the time. Couple that with bad allergies that can't drain due to these structural problems, and you get one miserable Johnny every time the weather or season changes. Well, last month the doctor told me to take allergy meds for a month and to come back once all the swollen tissue/inflammation had gone down. Today was that return visit. The doctor said that now that the inflammation had been treated, it was time to address the structural issues. He poked, prodded, briefly went over all of the problems again that he told me I had last time, and then asked me how I felt about correcting them. I asked him if he meant surgery, and he said yes. I told him that I would be interested in doing anything possible in order to be able to breathe as long as my insurance covered it and/or the deductible was reasonable. He said "good" and then began telling me what he was going to do, which is in medical terms a septoplasty, nasal valve stenosis/repair, and turbinate reduction in both nostrils. Basically this means that he is going to break my nose, correct my deviated septum, and slice off some problematic nasal tissue restricting airflow. To do this he will have to implant some cartilage to do the restructuring. I jokingly asked him if he was going to take it from my ear. He said that in many cases, yes, but in mine, no, which was good because the recovery time for the ear was much worse than for the nose. Ok, then, that teaches me to ask those kinds of questions...

Anyway, the point of the story is (there's a point?) that I am tentatively scheduled for surgery at the end of June. I plan to take off work at least a week afterwards since I have been told from several sources that recovery is pretty harsh and to expect a lot of facial bruising. Sweet... However, everyone that I have talked to who has had this surgery done not only has praised its after effects, but has strongly urged me to do the same. My good friend Lampsidebriefcase reiterated to me again today that even though "it is not fun... I would do it over and over again to get the results." I trust Lampside. He would never try to deceive me. Well, except for EVERY SINGLE SHIFT we worked at that restaurant together ;-). But that's a different story from a different life, although those were definitely good times...

So, now I am trying to catch up from being out all morning getting medical instruments shoved up my nose. I'm barely caught up from being out two days at the end of last week. I resolved that whole lien issue that I had to scramble to deal with at the end of the day yesterday, and now I am trying to get some reports done.

I listened to Pavement's Brighten the Corners on the drive into work today. I didn't have any new music to review plus I had a hankering for some Pavement since their name came up during a Broken Social Scene discussion a few days ago. I've done several posts on Pavement, including this one here, so I'll stop now to avoid redundancy. I know, Sass, that I said I was going to list 56 detailed reasons why I love my staple remover today, but I'm sorry, I'm going to have to bump it to tomorrow's post. It's time to get back to work. I hope you understand...

6 Comments:

Blogger sassinak said...

well i guess i'll forgive you but in exchange you have to go here and pick one performer from the list that you've never heard of to review...

and the list is currently incomplete :)

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 5:33:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa V said...

56 reasons? I look forward to this illusive post...

As for Pavement, Brighten the Corners was always my least fave. I think I still like Crooked Rain the best, mostly because it was the musical accompaniment to my most impressionable year to date. I also really, really heart Slanted and Enchanted, and despite the silly poor reviews, I really like Wowee Zowee. I've seen them 4 times live as an avid fan. I miss them. What's your fave Pavement song? My old band covered Summer Babe one show (among other indie faves...Gigantic by the Pixies, Driveway to Driveway by Superchunk...)

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 6:05:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Ok, Sass, it's a deal. I took a look at the list, and now it is just a matter of getting the music. Keep an eye out for it...

SLG- Ok, I'm going to openly admit here that I love Brighten the Corners. I know, I will be the scourge of hardcore Pavement fans for saying so, but I can't lie. If you say you like Wowee Zowee then people think you are quirky. If you say you love Brighten the Corners they think you are crazy (or worse, a poser).

My favorite Pavement song? Hmmm... that's a tough one. I could say Conduit for Sale since my company actually has mass quantities of conduit for sale, or I could go with Trigger Cut, but today I am going to go with Here. Can you tell I listened to S&E this morning?

Pavement, Superchunk and the Pixies? Rock on! That seriously sounds like a sweet set.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 7:38:00 AM  
Blogger Lance said...

Dude,
Now you can have the Dr. give you any nose you desire. How fucking cool is that? May I suggest the tall Roman nose. It's a definite winner. And if your pockets are full you can always store stuff like your wallet inside one of your nostrils.

Good luck with the surgery and the stapler thing.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 7:58:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

LSD- I've already got a tall nose, and I guess that's part of the problem. It's pulling up on my nasal passages making them more narrow vs. rounded. The doctor said that he would have to lower the bridge resulting in a "smaller" nose. I'm expecting two snake-like slits on the front of my face when it's all done...

My friend Billy asked me if I was going to go with the "Diana Ross." Nice.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 12:10:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

SLG- I forgot to say that I have a copy somewhere of Pavement's Space Ghost Jam from their appearance on Space Ghost Coast to Coast. Have you ever seen that show/episode? Simply hilarious.

Wowee Zowee isn't that bad. It's Pavement's Trompe Le Monde...

Thursday, May 18, 2006 12:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home