Monday, May 08, 2006

Hey, Wake Up; Your Eyes Weren’t Open Wide

Monday. Man, I am bored today. I just don't get it. Last week I was totally slammed. Today I am scrounging for things to keep me busy. I mean, there are always things to do, but I prefer working towards a means to an end, not just keeping myself busy just for the sake of keeping myself busy. There's only so much filing that a guy can take before the eventual nervous breakdown from the monotony takes over. And even then, that's only a good 15-20 minutes of unbridled insanity to enjoy, and then I'm left with a whole rest of the day as a letdown. Oh well. I guess I should just continue on researching these discrepancies.

I'm also supposed to be putting together a presentation that I have to give on Thursday when I visit corporate HQ. I feel uninspired. I think I will continue to put this off until the last minute in which I freak out and scramble to get it done. That's how I tend to produce my best work.

Today's music selection is A.M. by Wilco. Somebody who didn't think that today's music scene had enough sub-genres has decided to designate Wilco as "alt-country" whatever that means. Apparently, that means you can have an acoustic, folksy-sound without having to sing in the twangy accent required for most major country and western releases. I have been cognizant up until this point that there is a pretty decent Wilco following out there. However, I never really gave them a listen. No reason why. I just didn't. However, in my never-ending search for new tunes, I decided that perhaps now was the time to give them a shot. So, I decided to start in the beginning with their first release, A.M. This album is ok. The songs were catchy, and it was an enjoyable listen, but it didn't really blow my mind out or anything. I read some other reviews after the fact and some said that I should listen to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot instead. Maybe I'll try that one out tomorrow. Until then, I'm a little hesitant on a glowing recommendation. A.M. certainly wasn't bad, but I don't know if it was strong enough for me to give it full-fledged accolades. How 'bout "check it out if you are curious or into the whole alt-country thing."

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa V said...

um... this is fucking weird... i am listening to yankee hotel as we speak!!! It's my fave Wilco album... I also love Summerteeth, and then I like Being There.

But yankee is produced by Jim O'Rourke, and you can really tell. Please, please, please get it and get it now!!!

Monday, May 08, 2006 4:06:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Ok, Lis.. er.. Sweet li'l gal, I'll listen to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot tomorrow morning :-)

I'll check out Summer Teeth and Being There as well (although probably not tomorrow morning). I mean, I've got like 8 of their albums now, so I'm sure I'll be giving them all a listen soon enough...

Monday, May 08, 2006 8:50:00 PM  
Blogger sassinak said...

i have being there myself... not a huge fan but i include a tune in a mix on a reasonable regular basis.

i'm telling you my favourite canadian music right now is swing ... if you like french rap :)

Monday, May 08, 2006 10:36:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Hi Sass- you've mentioned Swing before and I checked out their website, but I've had a little trouble locating any of their albums. I'll keep trying, though.

I don't know if I like French rap or not. To be honest, I don't think I've ever heard any French rap before. I guess if I ever find a Swing album, that will take care of that problem.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 7:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home