Friday, October 14, 2005

Word Power Can Plow Through Acres of Cornfields, Paragraphs Cut Like Warm Steel

Friday, Yeah! Well, despite being stuck behind a bad accident and getting into work late this morning, so far today has been a good day (of course, now that I said that I will probably jinx it). I don't know why, it's not like anything super awesome has happened to me, I'm just in a good mood.

The big boss lady is in town today. She has already told me that she wants to "have a sit down with me." I assumed that this meant that she was going to demote me for doing such a lousy job since coming back into collections, but instead she insinuated that she was going to increase my workload. So, apparently poor performance pays off around here. Maybe I'll tell her I've been posting on my blog during work hours to see if she'll make me a manager... ok, maybe not.

Since it is Friday, and I always pick out something upbeat on Friday mornings to listen to, today I picked The Jurassic 5. The J5 are a rap group. They are not a "gansta" rap group. I have made my feelings known about gangsta rap here, but it basically boils down to this: I like rap, but I am bored of gangsta rap. NWA came out with Straight Outta Compton in 1987 and all of these artists have just been remaking the same album ever since. It was shockingly fresh at first, but now it has gone stagnant. That's why I prefer to listen to rap groups who are inventive and can put out a positive social message instead of the same old tired themes. Jurassic 5 are proof you don't have to listen to Will Smith if you want to get away from the gangsta genre. J5 presents strong, intelligent lyrics set to tight beats and quality music. Don't believe me? Listen to Concrete Schoolyard, Freedom or Jayou. I can list more, but that should be a pretty fair introduction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home