Thursday, June 29, 2006

We’re Just a Million Little Gods Causin’ Rainstorms, Turnin’ Every Good Thing to Rust

Thursday. Today has been another relatively uneventful day. I had to upload the receivables website database today, so that took up most of my morning. I have also been trying to clean up all the loose ends from my vendor database project that I stopped working on about a year ago. I was originally commissioned by the Big Boss Lady almost two years ago to collect all of the financial information, insurance information, past purchase histories, etc, of every vendor we had ever used and compile this data into one huge vendor database/filing system that would hang out with me here in Denver. So, people from all over the country sent me all of their vendor files (some better kept than others) and I began very meticulously working on this project. Let me tell you, working on this thing was so amazingly riveting that out of all of this excitement I decided to create a blog to share just how freakin' bored I was. Much to my relief, the Big Boss Lady asked me to go back into receivables work last August so the vendor database project has been sitting here collecting dust for almost a year now. I have boxes and packages of files just sitting here waiting to be keyed in, but I honestly do not have the time to dedicate to this task (nor do I want to dedicate my time to this task, although I do believe greatly in the value of the finished product). When the Big Boss Lady was in town last she advised that she would be hiring a new assistant for the department and finishing this project and maintaining this database would be one of his/her primary duties. Yeah! I'm definitely down with this development, however it means I have to get everything organized to send off when the new assistant starts. I know that doesn't sound that bad, but since people have been still sending me stuff even though I haven't been working on this project in almost a year, I've just kinda let things build up unfiled. So... I hope the new person doesn't mind a bunch of loose paperwork to have to sift through. We'll just consider it his or her "initiation rites" into the department...

Once again I am a slacker with no new music to discuss. Actually, I did try to have new music for today, but the music fairy only partially delivered so we'll just have to wait on that one. Instead, I listened to Funeral by Arcade Fire. I wanted to see if I would latch onto these guys a little bit more than last time. I gave them a favorable review, but I came away with the feeling that one has to listen to this album multiple times to truly let it sink in. So, this was one of those "multiple times." I have to say, I did enjoy it more, but I'm not up to the level of unabashed praise. Maybe next time.

5 Comments:

Blogger sassinak said...

i'm a bit behind but the beatles rock :)

also? first give the new person all the filed but not entered stuff and the completed stuff

when they're done that? give em the rest *eg*

Thursday, June 29, 2006 4:50:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Yeah, I heard that these Beatles guys had a couple of minor hits a few years back...

The guy who will be hiring this new person asked me if there was any questions that I could think of to ask in the interview. I replied, "ask him/her what their tolerance is for mind-numbing monotony for hours on end day in and day out." He laughed and told me "that's a good one" but I have a feeling it's not going to make it into the interview (even though it is probably the most relevant one to ask).

Yeah, I'm going to send all of the stuff that I've done first, but I have to wait until they are ready at HQ. The Big Boss Lady said that in order to hold all of these records they would have to move in a new file cabinet and the empty one they have doesn't match the other ones in the file room so she can't put it in. You know, because an aesthetically pleasing file room is the cornerstone of any successful business...

Friday, June 30, 2006 7:27:00 AM  
Blogger sassinak said...

oh man
it's amazing what businesses decide is important sometimes

*shakes head*

i'm delighted to hear you're dumping some grunt work

Friday, June 30, 2006 10:47:00 AM  
Blogger Lisa V said...

Arcade Fire was my soundrack to my month in NYC last April... it's so amazing to just have on the headphones and walk around to. David Byrne is a big fan, I wonder why?

What's this Beatles stuff? Which is your fave album? I think Rubber Soul is my favourite one. I also really like a few key tracks off of the Help! soundtrack (You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, Ticket to Ride).

p.s. can you access my blog now? I was worried about it for a while. I don't know where it went off to!!!

Friday, June 30, 2006 1:19:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Hi SLG-

I have heard that David Byrne is a big Arcade Fire fan and even frequents their shows. Maybe he thought that the Arcade Fire was what was Burning Down the House...

(ok, I admit that was pretty lame)

I can see you blog now, but for a few days there it was just showing blank white. I figured it was your tribute to the White Album...

I am actually a pretty big Beatles fan, as evidenced by what you can read in this post. Oh, this post is pretty Beatle-y, too.

Rubber Soul is a great album. I like that one because it signifies to me the turning point in the Beatles' career when they went from bubblegummy posterboys to bona fide experimental musicians. I don't know which is my favorite Beatle album. I prefer post-Rubber Soul Beatles for sure. The second half of Abbey Road is simply mindblowing, but as a whole Sgt. Pepper's might have the edge. The White Album has plenty of good tunes on it, but the album to me is marred by how it was put together, that is, each part and band member separately. Man... it's just too hard to choose... they're all good.

Friday, June 30, 2006 3:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home