Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Making So Much Noise You Don’t Know When to Listen

Tuesday (or is it Monday? It feels like a Monday, but it's Tuesday. Hmmm...). Well, I'm back after a long holiday weekend. And what a good holiday weekend it was. I said it last year and I'll say it again, Labor Day is my favorite holiday. I'm serious. Think about it. There are no obligations, no pressures, no presents to buy, no costumes to dress in, and it hasn't been over commercialized with candy, cards or imaginary characters in which we have to lie to our children about. There are no ties whatsoever. Sure, you may feel like having a barbeque or going camping, but you don't HAVE to. All you have to do is not work. It is simply a "thank you for working enjoy your day off." Trust me, I do every year.

This year we had guests in town, so we spent the weekend doing various Colorado things and enjoying the time together. The first day we hung out in Fort Collins and checked out the local sites. Sunday we spent down in Denver going to the zoo (for the kids) and then hanging out on the 16th Street Mall (for us). On Labor Day itself we drove down to Colorado Springs and enjoyed some scenic beauty at Seven Falls. I still think that Colorado Springs is kind of touristy, but since we had actual tourists with us it worked out just fine.

During the in-between times I got to watch a lot of opening weekend college football. I know this was an easy week for picks, but I ended up sweeping all of my predictions. Since 21 of the top 25 teams scheduled pushovers the first week, everything fell out as predicted. There were no major upsets except when #23 Tennessee soundly defeated a #9 ranked Cal 35-18. Trust me, it wasn't even that close. All of Cal's points were scored in the second half, with 15 coming in the fourth quarter when UT's replacements were in. Ainge even looked pretty sharp out there. I was certainly pleased with this start by my beloved Vols.

Also not disappointing was my alma mater Colorado State. I said in my predictions that if CSU's defense could stop the run, then the Rams would take the victory. Well, they must have listened to me because they held Weber State to a record low negative 38 yards rushing. Yes, you heard me, -38 yards total rushing. Awesome. Final score 30-6.

A team that didn't fare so well against a Big Sky opponent was the University of Colorado who lost in a huge upset to Montana State 19-10. Although my dislike for the Buffs has gone down a bit with Gary Barnett finally gone, I still can't help but smile at the in-state rival dropping one to a Division 1-AA school. Hopefully this embarrassment doesn't fuel any fire for the CU/CSU game this weekend...

My other pick this week was Florida State over Miami, which if you saw the game last night was as close as I predicted. I said it was an even pick, but I chose FSU to come out on top. That they did with a field goal late in the game to seal Miami's fate.

Ok, enough football for now. I promise my next post will be football-free. Until then, I hope that you all had a glorious Labor Day weekend as well, and here's looking forward to a great autumn!

2 Comments:

Blogger sassinak said...

well okay, i guess if i'm going to make hockey and climbing posts that you're allowed to make football posts...

i guess *grin*

happy labour day!

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 9:21:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

Hey - I like sports but I only let myself get crazy about one of them. Plus it gives you all the opportunity to get a pretty good chuckle when I completely blow all of my predictions...

btw- my oldest daughter (7)absolutely loves climbing. We have pics of her hitting the top of a 10ft wall (ok, it was the kid's wall, but still) at age 2. No joke.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 11:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home