Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Where the Scream of the Bold Mountain Eagle Responds to the Notes of the Dove...

Is the Purple-Robed West, the Land that is Best, the Pioneer Land that We Love...

Well, mid-term elections were held here in the US yesterday. Now that they're over, we can all optimistically look forward to a nation-wide change towards relative peace and civility. What? No, I wasn't talking about the power of congress changing hands. I meant that all those political attack ads are going to be finally over.

Since the time change a week or two ago, I have had the pleasure of getting to watch the sun rise every morning during my commute to work. As the sun lifts up in the east, the mountains to the west of me begin to reflect a red/purplish glow accented by the whiteness of their snow-capped peaks. As long as I've lived in Colorado, witnessing picturesque moments like these have never ceased to strike awe in me. These truly are Katherine Lee Bates' "purple mountain majesties." Man, I love living here.

It's autumn here in Colorado, which (similar to springtime) means that we get lots of fun fluctuations in weather. For instance, today they are predicting a record high temperature of 80 degrees F. On Friday we will be getting snow. Saturday, sunny and in the 50s. Sunday? More snow. Sure, that is one of the endearing little quirks about living in the paradise of Colorado, but it seriously throws my sinuses out of whack. Not to mention trying to figure out to wear. No joke, the temperature can swing 40 degrees within a few hours. I've determined that the best way to deal with it is to dress in layers. For instance, I am currently wearing a T-shirt and shorts, with dress pants and a button-down shirt over that, then a sweater, and finally a snowmobile suit, a pair of choppers (Minnesotan for mittens over gloves), a wool cap, scarf and fur-lined goulashes. That may be overdoing it, but at least I'm prepared for any type of weather. Well, except for a flood. I better add a life preserver to that list tomorrow.

Speaking of weather, there is a winter weather-related phrase that bugs me. When it is particularly frigid outside, it is not unheard of to hear someone remark, "It's cold as hell out here." I know you've heard it. I've probably even said it myself. However, this doesn't make any sense. Regardless of your religious leanings or personal beliefs, I think we can all agree that the traditional Christian depiction of Hell is one of fire, brimstone and other generally hot things. So, when you say it is "cold as hell," doesn't that actually convey the exact opposite of the message that you are trying to get across? I propose that we alter the phrase so it makes a little bit more sense. Instead of saying "it's cold as hell" we could say "it's cold as Minnesota out here." Sure, I know, that takes a lot of the bite out of it, but I think that we can all agree that it is much colder in Minnesota than in the generally accepted description of the Christian devil's abode. Plus, anyone who has spent considerable time in Minnesota (especially in winter) can vouch that it is a fairly viable substitute for Hell. What do ya think?

And speaking of segues, my sister who lives in Minnesota (as opposed to my other sisters that I don't have) called me last night to let me know that I am going to be an uncle again. A big congratulations goes out to her along with a huge "best of luck" since this is going to be kid number four for her. You see, she already has three boys. I give it up to her because I think that my two kids can be a handful. I couldn't imagine having four. She's pretty excited, though. She really wants it to be a girl. I'm crossing my fingers for you, sis, but I think we all know that it's going to be another boy ;-)

And boy, this post is getting long. I better go ahead and publish it now.

2 Comments:

Blogger kat said...

well, the democrats won congress and the senate so maybe hell froze over.

Thursday, November 09, 2006 11:29:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

ya know, Kat, you just might be right... and if so I have a whole list of things just waiting for this day to settle up on...

Thursday, November 09, 2006 2:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home