Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Musings...

Wednesday. I am a little more rested today, but still not totally recharged. Luckily for me, I don't need to have my brain running at full capacity to perform my job function. Actually, it falls somewhere between subconscious actions performed from rote memorization and "yup, he's still breathing." Today I listened to Muse on the way in to work. Faithful readers of this blog may remember several posts ago that one of Mrs. darthjohn42's co-workers let her borrow several CD's for her to check out. This was one of them. Having no familiarity with this band, I looked them up and had read several comparisons between them and Radiohead. Although I am not a big fan of Radiohead, I promised that Muse would still get their fair shot. Well, guess what? Today was their big day. Let's see how they did:

Well, first off, they weren't bad. There is certainly a lot worse out there (and getting duplicated, in the case of Alanis Morrisette's remake of Jagged Little Pill). They did not sound like Radiohead clones, though I could certainly see the comparison. Those that recall my previous post may remember that I had questioned what this mysterious co-worker was like and I mused (no pun intended. Ok, it was intended, you caught me) that based on her music preferences that she must be a goth chick. Well, I consulted Mrs. darthjohn42 to see if I could find out the answer. I didn't ask her straight out, I tried to discern this information from my own subtle questioning, such as "what does she usually wear?" The answer was "hooded sweatshirts, mostly." When I asked if she wore dog collars and black lipstick, then the questions were turned back onto me which was not the intended purpose of this line of inquiry so I gave in and asked if she was a goth chick, in which I received a very strange look and the answer "no" (don't worry faithful readers, I accustomed myself to receiving strange looks long ago since that tends to be the standard reaction I get from people when I start talking). I did find out, however, that her favorite band is Tool (complete with tattoo), so there is an obvious trend of dark and moody music here. And Muse is no exception (how's that for bringing it back around again?). If you are into the dark and moody genre of music, then they are pretty good. However, that's not really my main source of music appreciation so I can't really give them rave reviews. How about good, but not my style? You know, like watching Masterpiece Theater or something...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home