Thursday, July 07, 2005

Just a punk taking about Punk

Thursday. Today is website day, my least boring day of the week. Yeah! So far things have gone well today. I did catch one mistake I made while doing the website database, so that was lame since I have to redo it, but at least I caught it before it went out on the web for the client to see. That is one thing about this website project. Whenever I make a mistake or it doesn't load right I certainly find out about it the next day when I am greeted by a bunch of emails and voice mails letting me know. Of course, no one calls when things go right. How about a phone message that says "hello, darthjohn42, I just wanted to call you to let you know how awesome the website looks today. Thanks for all of your hard work in putting it together. We appreciate it so much we are going to send you a new Nissan 350Z and a lifetime supply of Fat Tire beer." Ok, that last part for sure isn't going to happen, but I figured, hey, as long as I'm fantasizing about things that will never happen I might as well make it good.

Today on the way to work I listened to one of my favorite bands, Social Distortion. I think I could seriously rave all day about Social D. They combine a raw punk sound with lyrics that are intelligent yet unpretentious (that last sentence sounded pretentious, though, but I will just move on...). They are not the heavy thrash punk that one might immediately think of, nor that poppy stuff that they play on the top 40 radio nowadays that they call (swallowing deep and flinching) "punk." They are a different kind of sound all together, and one that my ears enjoy immensely. Their lyrics are also pretty good. In fact, I find sometimes the lyrics hit home so well that I think they are written just for me. Which I highly doubt because writing a whole album for just one person isn't exactly a smart marketing move. I mean having a niche demographic or small loyal following is one thing, but just one person is ridiculous not to mention unprofitable. Oh, and I've never met anyone in the band either, so that could also play a small factor. I would like to meet the band, though, if I ever had the chance, so if someone out there can hook something like that up, please let me know. In fact, at this point I would be happy just to see them play live. They have come to town a couple of times, but unfortunately a punk rock concert is not exactly Mrs. darthjohn42's idea of a romantic evening on the town. What could be more romantic than loud ear-splitting punk music, hanging out with people in blue mohawks, and body slamming with a bunch of sweaty drunks? I guess there are just some things I'll never understand...

1 Comments:

Blogger john said...

Johnny D drinks Sunny D while listening to Social D or Tenacious D, but usually not Heavy D.

Friday, July 08, 2005 11:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home