Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Embarrassed with Failure, I Try to Reverse the Course that My Tread had Already Traversed

Wednesday. This morning was busy since I had to crank out a spreadsheet that I was supposed to do yesterday but couldn't (see previous post). I'm finished with it now, so things have slipped back to normal levels of boringness.

Today I listened to Rift by Phish. I think the thing I like the most about this album is its continuity. Each song seems to flow right into each other as if you were listening to one long jam. The mood on this album seems to be different to me than others. While Billy Breathes seems more relaxed and mellow, and Hoist more bouncy and spirited, Rift to me comes across more sad and darker in mood. Horn, Lengthwise, and Fast Enough for You contain themes of loneliness and personal relationship loss. Mound and Maze address futility. The title track, Rift, deals with inner-conflict. Weigh, a song after my own heart, confronts boredom (along with some odd suggestions on how to cure said boredom). Sure, Sparkle is an upbeat tune, but if you listen closely the lyrics actually detail a situation in which one laughs so hard they "fall apart." Not exactly a laughing matter, if you ask me. Just in case you find yourself in this precarious situation, you would be best served by having read this.


Ok, I am having a lame day today, as evidenced by this lame post. I will try to be more exciting tomorrow. Maybe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home