Monday, August 01, 2005

Trade in Your Hours for a Handful Dimes

Monday. I am tired. Not much on the schedule today. I am going to try to get a good chunk of this vendor database logged today. I am aiming for an October deadline so I figure I better get moving while I have the chance.

I listened to The Doors on the way in to work. This was just a mix CD that I made a while back from some of my more favorite Doors tunes. One of the tracks included in this mix is 5 to 1, which I consider to be one of the greatest tunes of all time. This song delivers a powerful message regarding generational conflict that not even this song could rival. I've always wondered if I would stop liking this tune as I got older. So far that answer is no. I still find the message relevant and the music rockin'.

After 5 to 1, I considered The Wasp (Texas Radio) to be my next favorite Doors song. However, recently I have been taking a big liking to The Soft Parade. Don't get me wrong, The Wasp definitely still has a sting to it (I know, but I couldn't resist), but the more I listen to The Soft Parade the more I like it. The song has several change ups showcasing some of the best features of the Doors: Jim Morrison shrieking; poetic, allegorical lyrics, and even a funky disco beat during a portion of it. Also included in this mix is the obligatory Peace Frog. I really like this song, but I've often wondered about the beginning bass riff. If The Doors had no bassist, who came in and laid this down? Some session guy? The "fifth" Door, so to speak? What's his story? If anyone knows, please leave a comment to open up my doors of perception.

Well, that's about it going on here. Man, I'm bored today (as if that wasn't evident by this lame post). In other news, today is the anniversary of Jerry Garcia's birth (the anniversary of his death will be in 8 days). Why did I listen to the Doors instead of some JGB this morning? 'Cuz I totally spaced it until I got to work. See, this is why I'll never make Deadhead status. Pitiful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home