Friday, August 26, 2005

Life Ain't Nothin' But a Good Groove, A Good Mix Tape to Put You in the Right Mood

Friday. Yeah! Not much going on here today. I am working on a spreadsheet right now, so nothing new there. Other than that, I am trying to approve vendor orders and handle insurance certificate requests, so I've actually been kind of busy.

This morning I had planned to listen to a punk rock band that had been recommended to me, but only 99.5% of the album magically appeared on my hard drive before it stopped. So close it's almost insulting. Very lame. Anyway, I had to fall back on my contingency plan, Check Your Head by the Beastie Boys. As faithful readers now, I tend to select something upbeat on Fridays to get my Friday started right. The Beastie Boys never fail in this aspect and are always sure to get me in a good mood (even when it hits me how long it has actually been since this album came out). This is probably my second favorite B-Boys album after Paul's Boutique. There are lots of good cuts on this album, including The Maestro, Finger Lickin' Good, and of course So Whatcha Want. However, I've always been curious about another one of my favorite tracks on this album, Professor Booty. In this song, the B-Boys call somebody out "... the one big oaf who's faker than plastic, the dictionary definition of the word spastic." The snaps continue after that, even. My friend A.T. asked me once about to whom they were referring to in this line, Russell Simmons? Rick Rubin? We didn't know. Fans of the B-Boys are probably aware of the ill feelings the B-Boys hold toward Russell Simmons, but I don't know if you would call his demeanor "spastic." He always comes across as the exact opposite to me. And Rick Rubin? Maybe... anybody out there know who this lyric refers to? Please enlighten me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dale B. Sorry said...

There's a lot of speculation that the beastie boys track was aimed at 3rd Bass's Mc Search (who used to "dance around like he think's he's janet jackson). They were signed to Def Jam right around the time the Beastie Boys left and on The Cactus Album, in the track "Sons of 3rd Bass", issued the lyrics:

Swarm to the lyrics cause Serch is your father
Screaming "Hey Ladies," why bother?

Well, 20 years later the beastie boys are still going and nobody knows who 3rd Bass is anymore. It's pretty clear who got the last laugh there.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 11:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home