Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Out of the Context and Into What You Meant

Wednesday. Sorry no post yesterday, I was out of the office. Today is my eldest daughter's first day of school, so I had taken off yesterday to go to a school open house to meet her teacher, see the school, etc. I also took her to a doctor's appointment, so it was an action-packed day, for sure. Right now I am trying to catch up from my day off and working on a spreadsheet that I usually have out on Tuesdays. It's still not making the day go by any more quickly, though.

This morning I listened to Building Nothing Out of Something by Modest Mouse. I had been purposely trying to listen to other artists to keep from repeating myself, but I had simply gone too long without some MM, so it was time to bust them back out. For those of you out there wondering what the attraction is, consider this line that I found from a review of Building Nothing:

Loneliness, boredom, and random observations have been at the heart of Modest Mouse's skewered musical universe through all their releases.

See? They might as well be describing this blog. Anyway, Building Nothing is a collection of rarities, B-sides and alternate versions of previous MM songs. Despite a lack of connection between the tracks, the album actually comes off very well. Instead of a bunch of throwaways, these tracks are actually all quite strong. I would recommend this to someone who has heard Good News for People Who Love Bad News and wanted to expose him or herself to the earlier MM sound, which is a little different. I am still going with Moon & Antarctica as my favorite MM album, but this one is up there, for sure. Recommended tracks: all of them. Ok, ok. How about: Never Ending Math Equation, Broke, and Baby Blue Sedan.

Artists I am interested in but have no albums by:

Beulah
The Mooney Suzuki
An Angle

2 Comments:

Blogger Griff said...

"Interstate 8" and "All Night Diner" are a couple more badass songs from "Building Nothing out of Something."

And if you are curious about what people think some of the Modest Mouse songs mean... this website (http://www.songmeanings.net/artist.php?aid=892) is pretty awesome.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 1:56:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Thanks, Griff. Yeah, I've been to that website before. It's pretty cool. Modest Mouse is pretty cool. In fact, they're more than cool. They're still one of my favorite bands. And I love both those songs, especially "All Night Diner". You can really get it on...

It's kind of funny because you stumbled onto a post that I wrote almost two years ago to the day. That's cool, though. Reading these old posts gives me a strange insight into what I was thinking on some random day years ago. Thanks for dropping by. Feel free to head on over to some more recent posts.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 2:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home