Monday, August 22, 2005

If You Don't Have a Point to Make, Don't Sweat It. You'll Make a Sharp One Being So Kind

Monday. Good morning happy campers, it's another wonderful week of work! And what do we have to look forward to today? Not much. My latest assignment is at a standstill until I hear back from other members of my department, so until then, more vendor database entries.

A while back I discussed Fiona Apple's in a review and promised that I would review her unreleased underground album Extraordinary Machine sometime in the near future. Well, the future is here, folks. This morning I listened to this album-that-never-was and I have to say that I was pretty impressed. The fact that this album was shelved because the record label thought it lacked commercial appeal just further bolsters my opinion that record label executives are idiots. Rich idiots, but idiots just the same. One of their arguments was that this album lacked a single. First, many albums have sold well without a top-ten single, and second, I heard some songs that while they weren't the bubblegum pop tunes you hear in the top-40, they didn't sound too far off from her previous work and those records went platinum. I could easily see Get Him Back as a single and other tracks were just as strong. Of course, this album smacks of Ms. Apple's style: despondent lyrics set to slow musical accompaniment. Orchestral pieces are often used to compliment Ms. Apple's piano playing, and I found this album to be well produced for a collection of songs that never saw the light of day (but resurfaced on the internet). If you like Fiona Apple's previous work, you will like this album. If you don't like her previous music then you are a misogynistic twit. Just kidding...

In other news, I am extremely excited to announce that one of my favorite authors, Brett Easton Ellis, has just released a new book entitled Lunar Park. I read a favorable review in the paper over the weekend, so I am excited to get my hands on a copy to decide for myself. Of course, having read all of his previous works, I would have read this one as well regardless if the review completely trashed it. I am currently in the midst of book right now, but look to see Lunar Park listed in the side bar soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home