Monday, August 15, 2005

Wake Up in the Morning and it's Hard to Live

It's Monday and I am ready to rock and roll another week of work! Ok, not really, but I have to gear myself up somehow. I just finished one spreadsheet report that I started on Friday that took me forever due to a billing glitch discussed in previous posts. Now I'm going to dig into some collections issues, which is fine with me because I am getting back to what I loved doing prior to being brought on this project to do the website and database work.

I have some good news: when Mrs. darthjohn42 went out shopping this past weekend she brought home a new radio tuner for my iPod. Isn't she swell? It is for reasons like these that I am glad she has decided to stay married to me for eight years to this day. Happy anniversary, babe.

So, to try out the new tuner I chose to listen to the Sublime tribute album, Look at All the Love We Found (which magically appeared on my hard drive over the weekend), on the way in to work. Now usually I am a bit leery on tribute albums. I mean, sometimes they are really bad. Most of the time you get a couple of good tunes and the rest are either forgettable or downright awful. Take for instance the Led Zeppelin tribute album, Encomium. Big Head Todd did a great version of Tangerine, and STP did a decent cover of Dancing Days, but Sheryl Crow doing D'yer Mak'er? 4 Non Blondes doing Misty Mountain Hop? That's not only a disgrace, but that's enough to make your ears bleed. The Eagle's tribute album only bolstered my long-standing argument that they are really a country band and have no place on rock radio. So, as you can see, as a huge Sublime fan, I approached this album with great trepidation.

However, I am happy to report it's not that bad. There are some pretty good tunes on this one, though admittedly, some are better than others. Some of the more notable tracks include Jack Johnson's Badfish/Boss DJ medley, G.Love's take on Greatest Hits, Ozomatli's April 29th, 1992, and Pennywise's Same in the End. Get Out was decently covered by a group whom I have no prior knowledge, Bargain Music. After hearing this song I am curious to hear what their originals sound like. The only weak track I can recall is AVAIL's hard version of Santeria. Sublime has plenty of harder songs, so why they picked to cover Santeria, I have no idea. It isn't bad. It just seems mismatched. Perhaps a brand new take on a well-known song was the idea, but it just didn't seem right to me. Overall, I think if you are a Sublime fan you should at least check this album out. I don't know if this album will have mass appeal otherwise, but I could see a bunch of people buying it solely for the Jack Johnson track. Hey, if that inspires them to go pick up a copy of 40oz. to Freedom then the world indeed may become a better place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home