Friday, August 12, 2005

They're Not Listening Still, Perhaps They Never Will

Friday. Yeah! Not much going on today. The website uploaded ok last night, so no problems there. I have a spreadsheet report to do today, which will take longer than usual due to the recent billing problem detailed in recent posts. That's ok because it will give me something to do. Other than that, not much else slated as of yet.

Today is Friday, and as you faithful readers know I try to select something really movin' to get my Friday started right. Today I picked NOFX. I've been doing the classic rock thing for the past couple of days so I though it was time to get back to some good ol' punk rock. Now my views on pop bands pretending to be punk rockers have been aired many times on this site, and there are some that would wonder why I would listen to NOFX while bashing these other poseurs. Well, first, NOFX is not one of these johnny-come-lately commercial acts. They’ve been around since the 1980s and found success in the early 1990s. They've paid their dues, plus I know they feel the same way I do, evidenced by the lyrics of this song.

What I like about NOFX is the lyrics. I can't help but smile while listening to them (according to wikipedia, they have been named the "funniest band in rock'n'roll" by the underground press, but I couldn't find any independent verification of that). They aren't funny in a Dead Milkmen way (who I also like), but funny in a more clever, smart way. Sure, they're no Bad Religion, but they do have some great political satire (incidentally, Brett from B.R. was instrumental in getting them signed on Epitaph Records) and the 18-minute masterpiece The Decline is phenomenal. Other songs worthy of mention are Linoleum, Pods and Gods, and an excellent cover of Don McLean's Vincent. By the time I got into work I was definitely ready for a good Friday.

In other news, I heard today that fellow CSU alum Bradlee Van Pelt has earned the second QB spot on the Denver Broncos' roster. Way to go Bradlee! Even though he has since cut his hair, soon all will know to Fear the Mu11et!

(sorry, couldn't find a good pic of a Fear the Mu11et T-shirt...)

1 Comments:

Blogger john said...

what's up, lampside? It's been awhile since you have graced us with your presence...

Monday, August 15, 2005 11:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home