Tuesday, August 16, 2005

It's Now or Never, Now's the Chance to Choose What You'll Regret

Tuesday. I have a lot of spreadsheet work today. I am also transitioning back into handling receivables, so I have that going on as well. I am excited to get back into the financial end of things. First, I enjoy it, and second, that is the pathway up the ladder. I will still be doing the A/R website and vendor database for now, so this will definitely increase my daily workload and hopefully cure some of this boredom.

I listened to Built to Spill's Ancient Melodies of the Future on the way into work this morning. I love Built to Spill. This was one of the bands I missed the most when my iPod was out of commission since I had neglected to burn any of their albums on CD. But I now have a new tuner so I can get back to listening to all of those files rendered silent before.

I've reviewed Built to Spill in a previous post, but they're so good I am going to discuss them again. Ancient Melodies is my favorite BtS disc. It starts out a little slow, but picks up speed as it progresses. Happiness is maybe my favorite track on this album, and Fly Around My Pretty Little Miss is so contagious I am sure to have that catchy hook in my head all day. The album ends on the beautiful track The Weather, which, in my opinion, is a good place to start if you want to get a good idea of what BtS is about in just one song. The songs are typically melodic, often with profound, elegiac lyrics. Built to Spill is also often noted for their musical innovation, especially odd chord changes and arrangements. Lead singer/guitarist Doug Martsch was even once compared to Hendrix, Clapton, and Page by The New York Times. However, I am not a guitar virtuoso like lampsidebriefcase, so I can't really comment on any of that. What I do know is that when I listen to them, my ears get happy, which is far more than I can say when I listen to these guys...

1 Comments:

Blogger john said...

I have a tin ear for steelheart, which is why I give them the iron boot

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 11:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home