Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Times Always Lurking in Your Head; Got to Go to Work and Get Fed

Tuesday. I feel like I am about to crash out. I ate a big lunch today, which I'm not accustomed to, and now I am totally ready for a nap. Unfortunately, there isn't too much around here to keep me awake. I put together my weekly pre-website upload spreadsheet earlier, and now I am just trying to clean up end-of-the-month things before I fall comatose.

This morning I chose G. Love and Special Sauce's eponymous album to listen to on the drive into work. I've been trying to mix it up a bit lately to avoid repeats and, oddly, I don't think I've ever reviewed a G. Love album here despite the fact that I pretty much own his whole catalogue. I like this one the best, though, because with each release Mr. Love has progressively moved more mainstream. Special Sauce's first album was anything but mainstream when it first came out. I personally had never heard anything like it at the time. The music is sloppy to the point of stylistic distinction. The beats are loose and G. Love's vocals are so slurred and distorted that half the time you can't even understand what he's saying. There is an extreme blues influence present on the album. I'm not talking about "derivative" of the blues, but straight out blues riffs. This album quickly gained popularity among my friends and I, with Cold Beverage becoming a party standard and My Baby's Got Sauce being a sure-fire sing-a-long if played late in the evening. Although there are plenty other good selections on this album, my favorite track is This Ain't Living. Unfortunately, G. Love for the most part moved away from this Blues-laden style on his subsequent albums. I like his other stuff, but in my opinion this one is the best. I recommend this album for those curious to hear the blues/rap sound and for those who only know G. Love from cheesy Dr. Pepper commercials.

1 Comments:

Blogger john said...

Hey Billy-

Yeah, I said "Dr. Pepper" but it was Coke commercial. As you can see, it left a big impression on me since all I can remember was that G.Love was in it and it was lame. I agree that they should have played Cold Beverage, but that song was featured in a Coors Light commercial a while back.

Coors Light?! G. Love, have you no shame?! I've drank bottles of water that have had more flavor...

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 2:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home