Monday, January 30, 2006

Luxury is Temporary Then it's Gone

Monday. I'm having a somewhat busy day around here. I've been working on spreadsheets, trying to collect money, and I attended some long teleconference on something or other. The action never stops around here.

So, Billy has me about 99.9% convinced to root for the Pittsburgh Steelers in the upcoming Super Bowl despite the fact that they pretty much pounded my beloved Denver Broncos in the AFC conference game. We've got just under a week if someone wants to step up and make a case for the Seattle Seahawks. This is the third time I've made this call out and so far no one wants to defend the NFC champs. Aren't there any 'Hawks fans out there?

I listened to Three Snakes & One Charm by the Black Crowes on the way into work this morning. I think people can be divided into two camps: one group who thinks that the 'Crowes had a couple of hits like Hard to Handle and She Talks to Angels back in 1990 and then faded away into oblivion, or a large group of die-hard fans who have kept this band touring and putting out albums for the past 16 years or so. I am in the latter group. I love the Black Crowes. As big of a star as Kate Hudson is, if I ran into this fellow Coloradoan with her husband, I would honestly be more excited to meet Chris Robinson (and that's not a knock at Ms. Hudson).

I have seen the Black Crowes a few times in concert, with one of those times being one of the best shows I've ever seen based on sheer music and energy put out by the band. These guys can seriously jam. Unfortunately, like other jam bands this phenomenon sometimes doesn't translate to their studio albums. For the 'Crowes, I think it is hit or miss. The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion captures their energy excellently. Perhaps it is the overall somber mood of Three Snakes & One Charm, but the energy of Southern Harmony is gone. However, this album does excellently demonstrate the heartfelt soul that the 'Crowes pour into their craft. This album is underappreciated in the Black Crowes catalogue, but I think it's great. Standout tracks include Good Friday, Blackberry, and the absolutely beautiful Girl from the Pawn Shop. As good as this album is, though, I wouldn't recommend it for starters. For those of you in the camp that thinks the Black Crowes disappeared circa 1992, pick up The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion. For those of you in the second camp, I'm sure you already have this album so I'll stop preaching to the choir now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home