Monday, February 27, 2006

I’ve Been Traveling, But I Don’t Know Where; I’ve Been Wandering, But I Just Don’t Care

Monday. The start to another week of fun and adventure. I haven't had too much on my plate today, but I am staying busy. The Big Boss Lady called me up early this morning asking me to quickly whip up a spreadsheet report complete with graphs for a presentation she had to give today, but besides that I've just been doing odds and ends to get ready for the end of the month.

I spent most of the weekend working on a website project of mine. When I say "most of the weekend" I mean pretty much the majority of my waking hours. However, even after spending countless hours in front of a computer working on this stuff, I woke up this morning with new ideas and a strong desire to continue plodding away on it. Hmmm... in my whole illustrious career in accounts receivables I can't think of any time I sprung out of bed with a similar feeling (except maybe my first day at work). Perhaps I should have gone into web design instead.

One thing I have learned in my self-taught web-design experience is that Adobe/Macromedia applications (Illustrator, Flash, and Photoshop collectively), while all brilliant in their potential, are all incredibly un-user friendly. I think that this is a grand conspiracy by existing web designers to keep out wannabes like me from joining their ranks by putting up this technologically incomprehensible barrier to entry. I will not be deterred.

I listened to A Bigger Bang by the Rolling Stones on the way into work this morning. I was a bit hesitant on this one. Don't get me wrong. I'm a Stones fan, some of my favorite songs are Stones tunes, and I would never argue the Stones' significant place in music history. However, I think of the Stones much like the aging sports star who wants to give it "one more year." Yes, you were once the greatest, but now you are only a shadow of your former self. With every comeback, you only further erode the legacy you worked so hard to build. You had a good run, but it is time to let go.

Imagine my surprise that despite my trepidations A Bigger Bang turned out to be not that bad of an album. Despite their age, the Rolling Stones are musicians through and through. The song She Saw Me Coming could have been released by the Stones 25 years ago. Other notable tracks include This Place is Empty (sung by Keith Richards) and Rough Justice. Some have blasted Streets of Love as being an Alfie soundtrack throwaway, but I liked it. While this release isn't of the caliber of some of the Stones' greats of the past, I found it fairly enjoyable. I recommend it.

4 Comments:

Blogger katya said...

just from a brief jump around on your site to various links it's obvious you're an educated thinker who likes to write, and create...at least you have your blog as an outlet...
it seems many of us are stuck in routinzed types jobs which don't fulfil our spirits or challenge our intellect...
glad you're enjoying working on your blog and look forward to the new design
i myself am looking at the source of other sites to try posting a music stream on here
ciao for now, katherine

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 9:44:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

Thank you for your kind words, katya. Yeah, the perpetuation of this blog is pretty much the direct result of having to stifle all creative thinking in my current job role. The few minutes a day that I spend posting here makes things a whole lot more bearable. It's like a safety valve for my pent-up thoughts.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 7:25:00 AM  
Blogger katya said...

so why not just post what most inspires and fires you up and not waste any time at all on the spreadsheets and accounting stuff? unless you like this as a journal for your daily activities? let's hear more about your secret creative project or maybe your children? or what you studied in university during your English days or later....or more about the music, let us feel it!...i want to hear about the real you, k
sorry, just being a bit of a commentator, sorry if i've overstepped bounds

Thursday, March 02, 2006 9:07:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

Sorry, katya, no politics, no religion, no personal items. Only work and music with occasional college football prognostications in the fall. I know that's "boring," but that's what this blog is about: boredom. The ennui evoked in the posts on this blog is on purpose. It is a writing exercise seeking to perpetuate and maintain the central themes. Although this is "me" it is but an extention of me, or better yet a magnified reflection of two qualities or aspects of the real me. The simple act of writing this blog is what "fires me up." In reality I am a generally happy person who is extremely grateful to have this job position and a very loving wife and family.

Friday, March 03, 2006 8:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home