Wednesday, April 26, 2006

You’re Talkin’ a Lot, But You’re Not Sayin’ Anything

Wednesday. I am totally dragging today. I woke up tired and have pretty much slogged through the morning fighting against slipping back into an unconscious bliss. Of course, it doesn't help that today has been incredibly slow and boring, with not much going on worthy of staying awake for. I've spent most of the day doing an odd variety of tasks including vendor payments, collections, and the occasional spreadsheet update. Pretty exciting stuff.

This day is notable for at least one reason, though. Today's post marks my 200th entry on this blog. And while only about 5 of those posts are worth reading, I do have to step back and at least admire my prolificacy if not my profundity. I detailed history of this blog’s creation on the first anniversary of its founding, if you are curious to read it. There have been a lot of changes on this site since then, but I will wait to re-cap those when the true anniversary comes up in June. Until then, I would like to thank you all, fellow readers, as I pledge to continue to provide plenty more boredom and Inaction in the many days to come...

Ok, the internet connection has been out at my house for the past couple of days. I think it was my router because I reset it and played around with the CAT-5s last night and got it back, but who knows. The bottom line is that I haven't been able to procure any new music lately. So, to avoid a repeat I just selected something old that I haven't discussed on this site before: The Talking Heads.

Since the Talking Heads have been around for like 30 years, most of you out there have probably already formulated an opinion them by now. I'm firmly in the "dig 'em" camp. I don't know what it is. Their distinct style of music? Their quirky, yet poignant lyrics? David Byrne? The numerous references to them in Bret Easton Ellis novels? That scene in Revenge of the Nerds where they play Burning Down the House when their fraternity house is actually burning? Who knows. All I know is that my ears derive great pleasure from listening to them, and that's good enough to me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa V said...

ooh, I love the Talking Heads. I have Sand in the Vaseline, which is a great compilation cd set to have with all their great stuff on it... there is so much. I really like "building on fire" and of course, psychokiller (Que-ce que c'est...)

Thursday, April 27, 2006 3:31:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Hi Lisa V.- Whoops, looks like I forgot to mention it... Sand in the Vasoline is the album I was listening to. Currently Psycho Killer is my favorite Heads tune (that's where the title of this post comes from, btw). I also like Nothing But Flowers right now. Of course, they're all good, though...

Thursday, April 27, 2006 3:42:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa V said...

I did a song analysis of Nothing but Flowers in my world issues class in highschool. We had to pick a political song, and I chose that one and presented it to the class. let's just say I was ahead of my time?

Friday, April 28, 2006 5:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home