Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Some Folks Trust to Reason, Others Trust to Might; I Don’t Trust to Nothing, But I Know it Come Out Right

Tuesday. I'm enjoying more spreadsheet fun today. I've finished one report, I'm working on another, and I fielded a long call this morning in which I walked a financial manager through how to put together a third. If this keeps up I'm going to start having nightmares of Excel in my sleep.

Today marks the quasi-anniversary of this blog. I say "quasi-anniversary" because even though it has been one year since my first post on this site, I really didn't become a regular submitter until around June of last year. One day when I was bored at work (imagine that) I created this blog on a whim. However, after creating it and leaving a horribly lame post I never really went back and followed up on it. Then, five months later lampsidebriefcase and I were emailing each other back and forth one day instead of working (as we have been known to do from time to time) and lampside came up with the idea that we create our own blogs. Much to his surprise, I told him that I already had one. Well, lampside created his and got our mutual friend billydwilson on board, and for a few weeks we had fun posting and commenting back and forth on each other's sites. While billy and lampside's posting frequency has since slackened, I found that I actually enjoyed maintaining a personal weblog and this site eventually evolved into more of a day-to-day journal of my boredom here at work, what music I listened to on my long morning commute, and whatever else is on my mind that day. I've given up hope that anyone else besides me would find this site interesting, since by design it discusses fairly uninteresting things, but I still keep up with it just for that odd comfort of consistency it brings.

On the way to work this morning I listened to Bob Weir's solo album Ace. For those unfamiliar, Mr. Weir was a member of that venerable jam bad The Grateful Dead. Recorded while the Dead was still in their heyday, Ace contains many songs already familiar to Dead fans, including the perennial favorites Playing in the Band and One More Saturday Night. Two other bright spots on this album include Black-Throated Wind and the beautiful love song Looks Like Rain. Some readers might remember that I named my daughter Cassidy, a track that also appears on this album. It is weird (Weir-d?) to hear Cassidy in this arrangement, especially when one is used to hearing it in versions similar to how it was recorded on Reckoning and Without a Net, however it still remains a phenomenal tune and one close to my heart. You don't have to be a Dead fan to enjoy Ace, but it probably helps. While it should go without saying that all of these tracks sound better in their live form, Ace is a great studio release and comes highly recommended.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home