Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Here is a Waiting Room That Wants to Save Your Life

Tuesday. Sorry for the no post yesterday. I really meant to have something out there. It totally bugs me when I miss a day. I even wrote over half a post, but it just didn't make it onto the blog. I was pretty busy all day. It being the first of the month, I got slammed with a bunch of reports I had to put together along with a bunch of manual and summary billing that had to be out the door by yesterday afternoon. Fun times. Today I am working on about five different spreadsheet reports and dealing with other issues that keep popping up. I'm still pretty busy, but there's no way I'm missing two posts in a row, especially since I won't be posting on Friday because I have the day off (more on that later this week).

I have been fairly lame lately as far as new music goes. To correct this issue, I went to one of my favorite music referral sites, Live Plasma, in search of new musical acts to review. Even if they weren't "new" per se, they would at least be new to me. So, I did the usual search by typing in "Modest Mouse" and seeing what bands/artists the cluster chart brought up. I jotted down a couple of the names and viola! I have today's music choice: You Forgot it in People by Broken Social Scene.

Broken Social Scene is a Canadian band apparently made up of members of other popular but now-defunct Canadian bands that I've never heard of (Lisa V., are you able to enlighten us with your vast Canadian indy-rock knowledge?). At first, I thought the album was ok, but not too overly impressive. After the first couple of tracks, things started to pick up. Then they got downright enjoyable. There are several instrumental tracks that provided an excellent backdrop to the morning commute. Most of the other tracks change up in style, which also helps keep the album from becoming too monotonous. My only complaint is that some of the tracks kind of sound like songs from other bands. There is at least one track that I swear sounds like U2, and there's another one reminiscent of G.Love and Special Sauce. That being said, however, I liked the album overall. I even went back and listened to the first few tracks, and they didn't sound too bad the second time around, either. Recommended tracks: Looks Just Like the Sun, Pacific Theme and Cause=Time.

7 Comments:

Blogger sassinak said...

i'm assuming you know about feist and sarah harmer and elliot brood?

and although i don't know their stuff the people i know who like broken social scene love the arcade fire...

:)

also? fuck posting every day, i tried that too and it's impossible

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 7:37:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa V said...

Yes, John I am here for you! I happen to be a HUGE BSS fan... I really, really like You Forgot it in People. I particularly like Cause= Time and Almost Crimes, Lover's Spit is also great. There is a version of that sung by Feist on Beehives, the ep, which is very nice. The new album, self-titled, is in my opinion their best to date. Check out the song 7/4 (shoreline) and "tremoloa debut", highlights.

Feist is a BSS regular, as is Jason Colette, Apostle of Hustle and KC Accidental.

BSS are sort of the "new Arcade Fire"... there was a big NY Times article about the Toronto music scene, and it ended up just being about the band... of course, members of the band tend to span nearly every other indie band currently playing the city...

That's funny that you point out G Love and the Special Sauce... do you think "Looks just like the sun" sounds like them? Funny reference...

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 3:01:00 PM  
Blogger Lance said...

I'm the big loser that knows not of this band. Oh but I know now. Yes. I know now. And dude, thanks for that live plasma link. Its destine to be one of my regular visits from this day forth.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 3:31:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Thanks Sass and Lisa V.! I knew the Canadian representation of my readership would step up.

Sass- I have Feist's most recent album Let it Die, but I'm not familar with the other two people you mentioned. I have an Arcade Fire album that I reviewed a little while back. As of right now I think I like Broken Social Scene better.

As far as posting every day goes, if I was actually coming up with something original, witty and clever then I agree it is near impossible to post everyday. However, my posts are just a daily chronicle of work and music habits. Not exactly a stretch of literary genius, just 10 minutes of time to get it down.

Lisa V.- You guessed it, I think that Looks Just Like the Sun kinda sounds like a G. Love song. Not a total ripoff, just reminiscent of them. That being said, I really dug that tune.

I'm going to have to check out some more of Feist's stuff. I had heard that she was in a punk band and even put out a rap album before her latest release (which is quite mellow, apparently to save her voice). I would definitely be interested in checking more of her stuff out, as well as some more BSS.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 6:01:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Hey LSD- Don't worry, as of about 3 days or so ago I hadn't heard of them either. Apparently a lot of good indy music is coming out of Candada lately, though...

No problem on that link. I love that site. I may not agree with all of its connections, but at least it gives me a good start to go off of when looking for new tunes.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 6:08:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa V said...

Remember that G Love song "My Baby's Got Sauce?" I used to fucking love that tune...

Thursday, May 04, 2006 5:10:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

Lisa V.- Oh, yeah, I know that song. That used to be a great late night drunken singalong tune back in the day. I still think that album is their best.

Thursday, May 04, 2006 7:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home