Thursday, April 27, 2006

That Has Always Been and Will Always be; There's a Hornet's Nest in My Head, Come and Save Me

Thursday. Today has been a bipolar day of both ups and downs. On the plus side, seemingly out of nowhere I have been getting payment confirmations on several old and ugly orders that were previously hung up for various disputes/issues/discrepancies/etc. Seriously, I received a forwarded email that first said "no way are we paying this" and then in the next line of correspondence it said "order confirmed for payment." There was no in between, it was just "no" then "yes" just like that. Hey, I'm not going to question it. This invoice goes back to 2004. And that was just one example of the weirdness. Another financial manager and I both decided that today we woke up in another bizarro dimension in which the alternate version of this usually stubborn customer liaison actually pays our invoices without question. To test this theory, the other financial rep sent over a bunch of her old problem stuff to see if she could get that paid as well. We'll see how that goes.

On the flip side of all of this, today is website upload day and the database macro has decided to give me a bunch of problems. The customer changed their website two weeks ago and without warning eliminated one of the options for downloading payment information. It would be no big deal, except our database requires this information to be in that particular format in order for it to run correctly. Otherwise it doesn't work. Well, after some tweaking, I've finally been able to correct the problem but it took me all day to do so. Of course, no one is even ever going to know what I've had to go through to provide him or her with a smoothly running, accurate receivables application. All they'll know is that tomorrow morning when they go to access the site it will run like always and will take it for granted that it does so. Oh well.

My internet connection at home is still acting funny. I think I burned out my router. So, I still don't have any new music to review. Instead I pulled out another old CD, Amorica by the Black Crowes. I did a review on the Crowes before here, but it was for a different album. Anyway, I am a big fan of this band. They are so much more than the one or two songs that make it on the radio. Chris Robinson's vocals are extremely emotive and soulful, as if he bears it all on every track. However, the real star of the show is his brother, Rich. Don't get me wrong, the music on the discs is pretty tight, but man, can that guy jam in concert. I've seen the Crowes a couple of times live, and both times they completely rocked out. While Chris gets the main focus on the studio releases, the concerts are all about Rich and his guitar. Billy and I were just talking the other day about a Crowes show we saw together back in the day. Lampside, that one we went to still ranks up there as one of the best shows I've ever seen. It's been several years since I've seen them live, but if the Crowes are even half as good now as they were then, then I would highly, highly recommend picking up a ticket. Good stuff.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

Word,

I saw them at the Orbit Room several years back and what a fantastic show. A ton of energy a ton of fun. And oh yes, there was shaking of money makers to beohold as well.

Friday, April 28, 2006 10:45:00 AM  
Blogger Hubris said...

Isn't it funny how no one seems to realize how much they depend on your contribution? I find that same thing applies in my job. I help run Inventory. Retail, service, pro video/audio and corporate sales have NO fucking clue how much they depend on us. Some 45 people depending on a three person department. Can you imagine how fuct they'd be if one of us got smushed by a bus or something?

The most fun I ever had at the Orbit Room was to see Incubus. A far cry from The Black Crowes, I know. I sorta fell off their wagon after the release of their second album.

Friday, April 28, 2006 11:33:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

LSD- Yeah, I used to go to a lot of shows back in the day (unfortunately now not so much), and I've seen a lot of acts and very few put out as much energy as the Crowes do. Unexplainably amazing.

Hubris- Hello and welcome! Yeah, it's kind of funny how most people don't give a rat's about other departments and the work they do until something comes up that effects them. I work in a company of around 9,000 people. While nowhere near that many people use this particular application, I am the only one out of all those people who knows how to run it. Sure, it means job security, but it also means getting called twice the day of a family member's funeral because no one could figure out how to run it in my absence. No one cares when it runs, but holy cow, if the slightest thing goes wrong I come in the next day with a jammed email box and a phone lit up with all kinds of scathing messages. Fun times.

While the Crowes' second album is their best, IMO, there is still plenty to enjoy after that, trust me. :-)

Friday, April 28, 2006 4:04:00 PM  
Blogger sassinak said...

i fucking love the black crowes

but tragically i haven't paid attention to them in years... i keep thinking they died but they so didn't.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 7:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home