Monday, July 03, 2006

So What’cha Want? So What’cha Need? I’ve Got the Fonts You Want to Read

Monday. Due to the holiday tomorrow, this should be a really slow workday. Customer-wise it is a slow day. The branch is having a slow day. Other branches that I've talked to across the country are having a slow day. However, my day has been busy. I guess that's a good thing because it makes a slow day go by more quickly, but it still feels odd having to work my tail off through things while others are hanging out, talking, and doing all kinds of other non-work-related activities. The reason for my activity is that I only have two days this week (today and Wednesday) before I have a week and a half off for my surgery. So, I am trying to cram that much work into two days' time. Since I will be out Thursday, I am running the website upload on Wednesday. That would usually be no big deal, but since everyone is off Tuesday and most everybody is off today, it is going to be difficult to have all of the data accumulated that I need to get the upload done in time. Luckily next week the Big Boss Lady is just going to cancel it outright. She has learned better than to ask someone else to do it because in a company of 8-9,000 people, I'm pretty much the only person who can. Last time she asked someone else to do it in my absence, he had to call me twice the day of my grandmother's funeral to ask for help (and still didn't get it uploaded).

The plus side of everyone being out today is that I am in charge of the department. Yeah! The Big Boss Lady is off, and so are the two other financial managers who have tenure ahead of me. So, today all must kneel before John! Actually, since today has been so slow, I haven't gotten to wield my guy-in-charge powers much (or at all), but that's ok. With great power comes great responsibility. Ok, ok, I agree, enough of all of the superhero movie quotes. Let’s move on.

Not much going on in the new music area of Inaction-in-Action lately, and for that I apologize. I haven't acquired any new tunes lately, nor have I heard anything lately that I had to run and go get immediately, either. If you all have any recommendations for me, please send them on over. Sass, I'm still looking for Le Swing but keep coming up empty. Don't think I haven't forgotten about ya...

Since I didn't have any new tunes, I just tried to find something that I hadn't heard in awhile. It had been a few months since I last listened to To the Five Boroughs by the Beastie Boys, so I gave that disc a spin. There've been a few discussions on this blog regarding this album and they have all come to the consensus that as far as B-Boy albums go, this one is pretty weak. I'm going to have to agree that when you compare this album to, say, Paul's Boutique, there is no comparison. Of course, there are very few albums by any band that can compete against Paul's Boutique, so that really doesn't say much to me. I think that if you judge this album on its own merit and erase any previous efforts and/or memories that you have of the Beasties, then To the Five Boroughs isn't that bad. However, if you keep expecting every release to be better than Check Your Head, then you are setting the bar a bit high. Sure, it's the Beasties so we have come to expect the best, but if this is the worst they ever have to offer, then they ain't doin' too badly in my book.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa V said...

mmm... yummy paul's boutique. I really liked Check Your HEad too, but I must say, Ill Communication was pretty damn cool. I totally heart the Get It Together Q-Tip shit...

"I'm Ad Rock and I shock and I tick and I tock..." wicked. Pure gold.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 9:55:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

"...and I can't stop with the body rock - I got heart like John Starks hittin' mad sparks, pass me the mic and I'll be rockin' the whole park..."

I've seen the Beasties live a handful of times and once Tribe Called Quest opened. Both groups came out for the encore and did Get it Together. Awesome beyond words.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 7:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home