Monday, August 08, 2005

No One Hears a Single Word You Say But You Keep on Talkin' Till Your Dyin' Day

Monday. Another start of another fabulous week at work. Boy am I excited. I realize that inflection is lost when one reads words in text, so just assume that I am evoking sarcasm. Not much going on to kick off this week. I am still waiting for the new assignments to come, so here's hoping that this will be my luck day. Or week. Or month. Until then, more vendor database entries.

Today I listened to Led Zeppelin II on the drive in to work. Now I know it is cliché to say things like "Led Zeppelin is the best rock band ever!" and stuff like that, but sometimes clichés evolve because it becomes ridiculous to continually state the obvious. Such is the case with Led Zeppelin. While whether or not they are the best rock band ever is arguable, their esteemed place in rock cannot be denied. I was in junior high when I first heard Zep, and of course the introductory tune was Stairway to Heaven. I was immediately hooked and very soon thereafter had their fourth album. The rest of the collection soon followed, as I just couldn't get enough. With my trusty copy of Hammer of the Gods readily available, I became a regular Zeppelin savant. I could tell you without hesitation who named the band (Keith Moon of The Who), which album was named after a song that did not appear on that album (Houses of the Holy), and even who was "Stu" in Boogie with Stu (Ian Stewart). There were some set backs along the way, however. My mom once made me take back a Houses of the Holy T-shirt when I was fourteen because of the "inappropriate" artwork on the front (I got a Swan Song one instead). That was pretty lame, for sure. This affront was somewhat made up for when I got the Led Zeppelin boxed set an xmas or two later. Those well-played discs still reside as an integral part of my music collection.

Although I was too young to ever see Zep in concert, I have seen Page & Plant twice. The first time I saw them all I wanted to hear was Hey, Hey, What Can I Do. The second time all I wanted to hear was one of my favorite Zep tunes, Tangerine. During both shows my wishes were fulfilled. There are two things that I could check off of my list of things to experience before I die. Next I need to visit Europe, see a University of Tennessee game in Neyland Stadium, and to make a pilgrimage to this place .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home