Wednesday, September 28, 2005

A Ray of Sunshine Melts My Frown and Blows My Blues Away

Wednesday. Not much going on today. Still a ton of orders coming in due to the end of our client's fiscal year. The office is dead since the branch is throwing a trade show today. I was invited to go check it out, but since I am a corporate employee and not a branch employee I have to stay here. I could have probably asked to get away for a bit, but with all of these orders coming in, I figured now is not the time to inquire if I can leave the premises to hang out at a trade show that I have nothing to do with. So, here I am practically alone and bored even more than usual. Awesome.

I promised I would change up my music today since my legions of faithful readers are probably sick of hearing about the Pixies, so I dug deep to find something good. I came up with Live at the Greek Theater by Jimmy Page and The Black Crowes. This album is pretty sweet. I love Led Zeppelin. I love The Black Crowes. Put them together, and much like the chocolate and peanut buttery goodness of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, you end up with an excellent combination. Mr. Page has taken some flack over the years for teaming up individuals who are not Robert Plant and releasing tracks. In his defense, Mr. Page has stated that there are songs that he wants to do and play live, but Mr. Plant won't let him (the rumor is that Mr. Plant can't hit those screeching high notes any more). So, I can see Mr. Page's point, even if it means he puts out albums like this.

Anyway, Live at the Greek Theater is not only significant because it totally rocks, but because it was the first album to ever be sold exclusively online. It is now available on CD. Fourteen of the tracks are Zep tunes, and Chris Robinson really rocks it out on numbers like Out on the Tiles (one of my Zep faves), Custard Pie, and Celebration Day. The other six tracks are mostly blues covers, and those are excellent as well. Zeppelin always was good at the blues-rock thing. This album is a must-have for even the casual Zep fan, and even if you aren't a casual Zep fan, give it a shot anyway. This just might turn that around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home