Wednesday, September 21, 2005

All I Am are My Thoughts

Wednesday. Well I had a pretty stressful afternoon yesterday that carried over into this morning. One of my many thrilling spreadsheet reports caused me some headaches when I tried to put it together but I finally finished it and sent it on its way for better or for worse. Now I get to breathe easy for a little bit while I do some vendor database entries and wait for feedback to come in for the website upload tomorrow morning. Of course everyone will wait until the last minute to send his or her changes, but such is the nature of the beast.

Other than that, not much going on here today. I am tired again this morning. I went to bed at a decent hour last night, so maybe my late night on Monday is still catching up with me. I listened to Bossanova by The Pixies this morning. Yes, I am still on my Pixies kick. I didn't get a chance to write my review of Bossanova last week when I left work early, so I thought this would be a perfect chance to take care of two things at once: getting my daily Pixies fix and getting in a review of this album.

Bossanova is definitely more polished than the earlier Pixies album. It is weird because even though the music sounds better, it loses something in the production. Not to say that the album is bad, quite the contrary, it is just that I think Doolittle and Surfer Rosa are just a little bit better due to their raw edge. This album is a little more laid back as well. The songs don't seem as edgy and harsh overall as some of the Pixies' earlier work. This album at times seems like a tribute of sorts to their earlier influences. Sure, you can argue that every album displays homage to influences, but here you can hear surf guitar riffs and a very David Byrne-sounding Dig for Fire (my favorite track on this album). Also, mysteriously absent from this album are any songs by Kim Deal. Since creative control was one of the reasons cited for The Pixies' breakup, I am sure that this is not coincidental. Anyway, I liked this album. It wouldn't be the first Pixies' album I would recommend to buy, but if you liked Doolittle and Surfer Rosa, then pick this one up as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home