Monday, September 19, 2005

I'm Just Looking For... Just Looking For a Way Around

Monday. Well, it's another week at work. I know I'm pumped. Not much going on so far, a pretty uneventful day. That's how I want it, though, because I have a grad school paper due tonight on forecasting models (oh boy!) and I am trying to secretly work on it in between vendor database entries. Shhh... Don’t tell my boss.

This was another rough football weekend. I was correct in calling a close Tennessee/Florida game, but unfortunately the Gators ended up with the higher score. Not that Tennessee played badly, in fact, their defense looked pretty good. However, as in most close games, the final outcome depended on a few crucial mistakes. In this case, when Tennessee's punt returner fumbled the punt and gave the ball back to Florida in the red zone, this resulted in not only losing a valuable possession but in more Gator points on the board. This game came down to special teams, and Florida just had the advantage. Let's just hope Tennessee can get things together before they play a rested LSU next week.

I did call the respective USC and the Texas games, though. Both games were blowouts. However, the Cowboys of Wyoming won a squeaker over Air Force, so I was off there.

Fresh off my disappointment over the Tennessee game the night before, I thought I was going to see the Broncos drop another one as well. However, former Volunteer Al Wilson and the rest of the Broncos defense caught fire the second half and completely shut down the San Diego offense. The Broncos came back, and kicked a field goal in the final seconds to get the victory. At first I was elated, then I realized that, hey, this game should have never been this close in the first place. Elam had previously missed two other kicks in the game, Anderson fumbled the ball at the one costing us a touch down, and we had two other TDs called back for penalties, including a punt return that was nullified because a couple of knuckleheads ran on the field to celebrate before the ball crossed the end zone. Jeez Louise, people. You are professionals. Please show some discipline. Anyway, they won, so I'm happy about that. They just need to get it together or they may not be so lucky next time.

I am still on my Pixies kick, so you will have to please forgive me. However, I have for the moment moved on past Pixies albums and I ventured into what the former Pixies members did after the break up. So, today I listened to Last Splash by The Breeders. The Breeders are fronted by Kim Deal, former bassist for The Pixies. Ms. Deal joined The Pixies when she answered an ad looking for a bassist into "Husker Du and Peter, Paul, and Mary." Interesting... Anyway, she ended up in a creative control dispute with Frank Black, which eventually led to the dissolution of the band. Same old story, she wanted more of her songs on the album, the main songwriter didn't want to surrender any of his turf. So, she formed her own band with a friend of hers from the Throwing Muses, and that's how The Breeders came about. The Breeders had a surprise hit from this album with Cannonball, which everyone has heard a million times on the radio. However, I had never heard the rest of the album until this morning. It was pretty good, but a bit uneven. Besides Cannonball, other notable tracks include Divine Hammer and Drive On. I don't think that the Breeders ever officially broke up (I guess I could look that up), but they did run into some problems that inhibited them from releasing more albums, including Ms. Deal's substance abuse problem. Creative differences? Substance abuse? So cliché...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home