Monday, October 10, 2005

In My Head There’s a Greyhound Station Where I Send My Thoughts to Far Off Destinations

Monday and it sure feels like one. It is snowing here. It was really coming down earlier this morning, but it seems to have slackened off for the most part. I had to finish up a spreadsheet report this morning and the rest of the day has been devoted to orders. I need to get crackin' on some of these collections, but these vendor order approvals really bog me down. It shouldn't be this labor-intensive, but we are doing the work of another department since they don't want to do their own jobs, I guess.

Enough grumbling, today's a holiday for goodness' sake. It's Columbus Day! To celebrate, I will provide everyone with some trivia regarding this great city. First, I was born there. Yeah! Second, it is the largest city and capital of Ohio. Finally, Columbus was the home of the first ATM (and, one would assume, the first outrageous transaction fee). So let's give it up for Columbus!!!! Yee haw!

Ok, let's talk football. First, I really have to give it up to the Colorado State defense for stopping Utah four times in a row on the 1-yard line and keeping them from scoring what would have been the game-winning touchdown. Colorado instead hung on to win their homecoming over the Utes, and after dropping their first two games are actually looking pretty good in the MWC.

Tennessee lost a tough one to Georgia. Maybe after playing 3 teams in the top 10 in like 19 days started to take a toll on them. Relatively unchallenged Georgia, on the other hand, came off a bye week. The Vols' defense looked good, but the offense has been inconsistent all season long, and this time it got the better of them. With two losses, they are pretty much out of the running in the SEC, but a prominent bowl game is not out of the question if they can bounce back from this disappointing loss.

After a shaky start, USC took care of Arizona. Virginia Tech handled Marshall no problem. Penn State pulled off a big win over Ohio State (apparently not a good Columbus Day for them). However, I was way off in my call that Oklahoma would upset Texas, but, hey, what can you do?

In other news, I won a bet with one of the bookkeepers in Minneapolis over who would win the Broncos vs. Redskins contest. It was a close one, but soon I will be the proud new owner of a Denver Broncos coffee mug. Thanks, F.

I listened to the new Death Cab for Cutie album Plans today. This is their fifth album, and the first one on a major label. Some diehard fans have been disgruntled over this move, but honestly, I don't think they have anything to worry about. Despite a little over production in spots, they sound like the same old DCfC to me. You know what? This post is running way long and I want to give this review my full attention without concern for brevity. Sorry for the disappointment, but check back in a couple of days and I should have something more substantial. Thanks!

1 Comments:

Blogger john said...

Same here, but with not as much "coastin"

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 12:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home