Monday, October 03, 2005

I Sought To Lose That Cloud That’s Blacking Out the Sun

Monday. Work has been steady today. It hasn't been near as bad as last week, but I am catching up on things and trying to put the final polishes on my treasury report. Lots of fun.

Well, it was another good weekend in football. Tennessee not only beat Ole Miss, but Alabama pounded Florida. This should even things out a bit in the SEC. Now Tennessee faces another tough SEC opponent, Georgia, but more about that on Thursday. USC won again as I predicted, but it was pretty close. ASU showed that USC isn't unbeatable, but unfortunately they fell on the wrong side of a close game. Michigan's upset over Michigan State was an eye-opener, while easy wins for Texas and Virginia Tech were not. In professional ball, the Broncos defeated Jacksonville, making them 3-1 for the season. This game was notable not only because we have a long history of losing to JAX, but also because a rookie cornerback playing for the injured Champ Bailey had two interceptions and a fumble recovery in his first pro game ever played. Nice.

Today I listened to Haughty Melodic by Mike Doughty. For those unfamiliar with Mike Doughty, he was the former lead singer of Soul Coughing. For those unfamiliar with Soul Coughing, well, I'm sorry, you're missing out. A friend of mine who had an uncanny early ear for up-and-coming alternative bands first exposed me to Soul Coughing. This was just one of his many finds long before they became famous. He played Ruby Vroom for a car full of us, and while the album certainly didn't take with the whole crowd, I found it oddly enamoring. This was like nothing I had ever heard before. The rhythm was driven by a stand-up bass, with weird sounds and noises accompanying the music. The beat poetic lyrics were odd, ironic and quirky. These guys were good. They continued to put out two more excellent albums, with the third (El Oso) easily being their most assessable to the mainstream. The band broke up in 1998. Mike Doughty has been around touring, doing odds and ends, and even put out a live album since, but this is his first full studio-produced release. Some of the songs I have heard before. One of my favorite songs, Grey Ghost, has been available on bootleg for years. Looking at the World From the Bottom of a Well is getting airplay here, and is a catchy little number. Overall I liked this album, but it sounds a lot like the offerings on El Oso. In fact, His Truth sounds a bit too much like Circles to me. There are also grumblings among diehard Soul Coughing fans that Dave Matthews' production company had a hand in this album and that Dave himself even appears on one of the tracks. I am not a DMB fan, but I have no complaints. I will say, though, that if you pick this up expecting Ruby Vroom or Irresistible Bliss, you may be disappointed. If you like Mike Doughty's trademark vocal style and are willing to accept that Soul Coughing is in the past, this album may be for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home