Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Opinions Were Like Kittens, I was Givin’ Them Away

Tuesday. Sorry for the lack of a post yesterday, I left work early to take care of my sick young one and didn't get one up in time. Not that I think I really missed anything at work, just more spreadsheets and the usual routine like I am doing today. I can barely conceal my excitement.

Well, since I wasn't here to go over football picks, I will do so now. My CSU Rams dropped one at home against BYU. Rammies, you showed so much promise. What happened? This is going to make things tough for Colorado State in the MWC, but not all is lost yet. There is no clear front-runner at this point, so with a couple more conference games they might be right back in there.

Tennessee didn't play, but they have another big game coming up this week against Alabama. I hope they used their bye week wisely...

A close call for USC, but they were able to pull one off against Notre Dame to keep their win streak alive. The Trojans better watch it, because one of these weeks one of those comebacks may not come back enough if you know what I mean...

Texas clobbered Colorado 42-17. Thank you, Longhorns.

LSU came on top of a close one with Florida, helping Tennessee in the process. Georgia beat Vanderbilt, which may indicate how the rest of the season will probably go for both teams.

Finally, in pro ball the Denver Broncos beat the mighty Patriots. So far the Broncos are on track to win their division. Let's not see another mid-season flameout like the past four years, ok fellas?

Today I listened to Modest Mouse's The Lonesome Crowded West on the way in to work today. MM released this album in 1997 and it is obvious from first listen that this is a different MM than what can be heard on The Moon & Antarctica, Building Nothing Out of Something, and even Good News for People Who Love Bad News. The sound here is a lot more raw, and there is less emphasis on melody. However, there are still the trademark MM buildups and emotional outpourings that can be found on all albums. I have heard comparisons of MM and The Pixies, and on this album you can hear a bit of that influence (since I love the Pixies, that is definitely a good thing). If you like MM, you will most likely appreciate this album. If you are new to the musical genius that is Modest Mouse, try one of the other albums mentioned first then come back to this one.

2 Comments:

Blogger kat said...

the byu game was awesome. i enjoyed it. but then, i was routing for the y, so...

i've been in unstoppable incubus mode lately.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 12:37:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Hi Kat, sorry for the late reply back. I was like out of town and stuff...

Congratulations to your Cougars, they played a good game. This loss will be tough for CSU to catch up with TCU for the conference title. Good luck to BYU for the rest of the season!

btw, I once saw Incubus in concert a long time ago. They opened for 311.

Thursday, October 27, 2005 5:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home