Thursday, October 13, 2005

Who History Doesn’t Teach It Makes Numb

Thursday. Today is website upload day so I have been spending the morning working on that. So far, so good so we'll see how it goes. Other than that, I have been doing vendor insurance requests and more order approvals. It's just a non-stop fiesta around here let me tell ya...

But since it is Thursday, it is college football picks day! Let's see what's on the schedule this week...

Coming off a huge homecoming win against Utah, Colorado State plays another conference rival from the beehive state, Brigham Young University. I think BYU is tougher than their record indicates, and is capable of putting big points on the board. However, after putting up some 50 points, their defense allowed 51 points and lost the game. CSU's defense looked excellent against Utah (did you see that 4-down goal line stance???) and the offense is on fire. Kyle Bell has another big game as the Rams win over the Cougars.

Tennessee has a bye week. This is good because I am still feeling the loss from last week to Georgia. I am sure they are, too, and after playing 3 top-ten teams in 19 days, they will need the rest to take on #6 Alabama next week. Jeez, do they have the toughest schedule in college ball, or what?

#1 USC is going to get a big test from #9 Notre Dame this weekend. The Irish have a good chance since USC has started out weak in both of their games against ASU and UA. If the Irish can get a lead early, they may break USC's incredible win streak. I, however, don't really care for Notre Dame or their non-conference affiliation. I'm picking the Trojans to win.

And talking about teams I don't care for... #24 University of Colorado takes on #2 Texas. I'm picking Texas for sure on this one. First, Texas is pretty tough and has dominated all year. Second, as a CSU alumnus, I can't in good conscience pick the Buffs. Finally, even if I didn't have the whole in-state rivalry grudge thing going, I do not like the Buffs coach Gary Barnett in the least. No, I don't know him personally, but just reading in the news about this scandal-ridden misogynist is enough to fire me up. I could write a mile-long post on this one, but I will just move on.

Ok, a couple of big games in the greatest college football conference around, the SEC. First #10 LSU vs. #11 Florida. This should be a great game, but since both are rivals of Tennessee, I can't bring myself to root for either of them... I am going to pick LSU because they need to hand Florida a loss to give Tennessee a better chance in the East. I'm also counting on Vanderbilt to hand Georgia a big loss this week. Vandy was on fire until they dropped one to Middle Tennessee State and they played 3 solid quarters against LSU before finally laying down. Georgia will no doubt handle the Commodores no problem, but I will be rooting against the Bulldogs for sure.

Ok, that's it for football for now. I listened to Keep it Like a Secret by Built to Spill on the way in to work this morning. I know I have said on several occasions that I thought Ancient Melodies of the Future was a better album, but you know, I think I am moving over to the Secret camp. Both albums are great, but I have really gotten into Secret the past couple of listens. Plus, there is this great song, You Were Right, which is almost completely made up of other song lyrics making it pretty entertaining. Other great tunes include Center of the Universe and Time Trap. Either way, Built to Spill is pretty darn good and I recommend both albums (and all of their rest) to the non-initiated. In fact, get them both, do a comparison, and then let me know which one you think is better. Sound good? Cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home