Tuesday, November 01, 2005

When You Can Fall for Chains of Silver You Can Fall for Chains of Gold

Tuesday. Tooslowday is what they should call it. Man, is this day dragging. I did some spreadsheet stuff earlier and now I am just working on some odds and ends trying to get the small stuff done before it becomes big stuff.

Well, I bought my copy of Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith today. I ran out on my lunch break to grab it. No, I was not cool enough to camp out for the midnight madness sale but a guy here did and he said that about 200 people turned out for it just at that Wal-Mart alone. Pretty crazy. I went to Wal-Mart as well, not because I am a super big fan of the discount store, but because they were offering an exclusive bonus DVD with each purchase and I just couldn't turn that one down. If you haven't seen RotS yet, give it a shot. While it is no Empire Strikes Back, it is easily the best of the prequels.

I listened to Dire Straits on the way into work today. My brain was hurting again and it seemed like a good choice, especially since it had been awhile since I listened to them. My former college roommate first exposed me to the musical talents of Dire Straits. Of course, I had known Money for Nothing and Sultans of Swing from the radio, but I had never really listened to the lesser-known selections from the band. Like most groups you hear on the radio with an extensive catalogue, the tracks you hear are rarely the best that they have to offer. The same goes with Dire Straits. Mark Knopfler is an excellent guitarist and often employs a stripped-down, bluesy approach to his playing. Dire Straits' music is generally mellow and absorbing, although they can pick up the tempo pretty well also. For those who have never heard beyond the standard radio plays, I recommend Down to the Waterline, Romeo and Juliet, Lady Writer and Water of Love for starters and then go from there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home