Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Sometimes We Live No Particular Way But Our Own

Monday. Not much going on today at all. I made adjustments to the database for tomorrow's website upload and now I am going through my accounts and working on collections. The branch here bought everyone bagel sandwiches for breakfast this morning for coming in under budget during the month of December. Although I'm not a branch employee (I work for corporate and just hang out here), I was invited to enjoy one of these tasty bagel sandwiches and I took up the offer. Of course, now it is over four hours later and I am still feeling it in my belly. I'm more accustomed to eating an apple in the morning, so my stomach doesn't really know what to think of this all-of-a-sudden substantial sustenance. Hopefully I'll be able to eat again by the time dinner rolls around.

Since I didn't eat any lunch, I instead drove over to Borders bookstore to cash in a gift card I received for xmas but couldn't use since there are no Borders bookstores in Fort Collins. I was able to pick up a couple of good books (or what I hope will be good books since I haven't read them yet) for $15, so I thought that was pretty cool. It seems nowadays you can plan on spending $25-30 for a single title. No wonder no one reads anymore.

I listened to Wake of the Flood by the Grateful Dead on the way in to work this morning. For those unfamiliar with the history of the Dead, the band changed labels from Warner Bros. to Arista in the 1970's. While the albums from the Arista era are generally lesser known to non-deadheads than the Warner releases, I personally feel that some of the Dead's best work was done during this time. Wake of the Flood is no exception, as it contains several of my all-time favorite Dead tunes: Eyes of the World, Stella Blue, Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodleoo and The Weather Report Suite. Of course, these songs are all better in their live versions when time allowed for improvisation and extrapolation, but that should go without saying. Although I really enjoy this album, I don't think I would recommend this as an introductory album to the Dead. Go with Workingman's Dead or American Beauty instead. For those who already have those two albums and want to know of other good Dead releases to try, pick this one up. Then listen to the live versions and hear these songs as they were meant to be heard. Good stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home