Wednesday, January 18, 2006

You Don’t Need No Gypsy to Tell You Why You Can’t Let One Precious Day Slip By

Wednesday. It is days like this one that make me seriously question the futility of my work existence. I would much rather write, learn, travel, experience life, etc. than waste another day appeasing disgruntled co-workers, listening to condescending phone calls, and putting together yet another spreadsheet that no one will ever read. I dream of dropping out of society, moving to an isolated cabin in the mountains and becoming one with the marmots. I will continue pre-occupying my brain with this dream until I feel the cold, hard slap of my debt reality and remember that Friday is one of the 26 reminders a year of why I work here.

On the plus side, I got payment confirmations today for about $370K of aged receivables. Since that will clear two old accounts, that is two less treasury reports I'll have to do next month...

I listened to The Allman Brothers' Eat a Peach this morning on the way in to work. I didn't wake up with anything in particular in mind so instead of picking an old standby that I've reviewed a million times, I tried to find an album yet to be mentioned on this site. I must have been in a rush, because I didn't get farther than letter A in picking one out.

For those who don't know, The Allman Brothers are a southern rock jam band that have stood the test of time despite losing one of the brothers (Duane) and kicking out another integral member (Dicky Betts) allegedly for too much substance abuse (really, you must have a serious problem if other rock stars think you have a problem). Eat a Peach came out shortly after Duane Allman's death in a motorcycle accident, and features such classics as Ain't Wastin' Time No More, One Way Out, and the awesome Melissa. Dicky Betts really lets his presence be known on the beautiful Blue Sky and the guitar solo Little Martha. The album also features the 34-minute Mountain Jam in an attempt to capture the band's improvisational talent on stage (I once saw the Allman Bros. in concert, and man, where they awesome live). This album is recommended for those who like classic rock, southern rock, jam band rock, or any type of rock at all. Sure, 34 minutes of Mountain Jam may not be your thing, but Melissa and Blue Sky definitely make picking it up worth it. The rest of the album isn't too bad, either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home