Tuesday, March 07, 2006

I Wish I was a Headlight on a North-Bound Train, I’d Shine My Light Through That Cool Colorado Rain

Tuesday. Another uneventful day going on here. I put together my pre-upload spreadsheet this morning, which took up the first half of the day, and right now I am going through the customer's schedule-to-pay report to see how much money I can expect (so far) to come in this month. The good news is that I am scheduled to bring in over $358k on one of my problem accounts. The bad news is that on my other big account the customer is only paying $18.60 in aged receivables after assuring me that around $650k was confirmed. Yes, that is eighteen dollars and 60 cents out of $650 thousand. I don't know whether to laugh or to cry at that cruel joke.

Today I listened to Europe '72 by the Grateful Dead on the drive into work today. Ok, I say this just about every time that I do a Phish or Dead review, but it always bears repeating. Yes, I am a Dead fan. No, I don't consider myself a hippie. Yes, I bathe regularly. No, it is not in a lake. Yes, I take care of my hair. No, it is not by twisting it into dreadlocks. Yes, I have a steady, full-time job. No, it is not selling veggie burritos out of the back of my VW bus. Etc, etc.

I say these things not because there's anything inherently wrong with people who fit that description, but because I want everyone to know that this stereotype does not accurately fit the very wide array of Dead fans. I have known Dead fans of all stripes. Yes, I have known and have been good friends with your typical hippie deadhead. I have also known deadheads who are conservative business-types that completely defy the image that first comes to mind when thinking of this band's followers. Neither way is “right” or “wrong.” We're all across the spectrum so don't try to pin us down.

That being said, I do play a mean game of hackeysack, so watch out.

Also, please note that I consider myself a "Dead fan," not a "deadhead." I clarify that difference here.

Anyway, back to Europe '72. I love this double live album (I have it on CD, it was a 3-LP set on vinyl). Listening to this album was my turning point from a just guy who had a few Dead CDs to a true Dead fan. This CD, compiled from 22 concerts performed on their 1972 European tour, is an excellent showcase of the Dead in their prime. I think this is a great transitional album for those who have maybe Skeletons in the Closet or something basic like that and want to hear the true sound of the Grateful Dead. There are a handful of familiar tunes like Truckin' and One More Saturday Night for the beginner but still plenty of good stuff to keep even the most advanced deadhead entertained. The album is incredibly accessible (well, except maybe the super long experimental jam towards the end of disc 2) and for a live recording, the tracks sound extremely crisp and clear. Some of my all-time favorite Dead songs are on this album, including He's Gone, Tennessee Jed, and the fabulous China Cat Sunflower/I Know You Rider combo. I highly recommend this album for those who want a glimpse into the Grateful Dead deeper than what the often-misleading "best of" collections have to offer. Slip in the disc, burn some incense, eat a veggie burrito, kick back and enjoy...

5 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

I wouldn't call myself a hippy, a deadhead or a dead fan. Don't get me wrong. I do really love a lot of their music. Sugar Magnolia and Friend Of The Devil are mainstays in the soundtrack of my life. But I never really dug in the band much further than that. But I think a person shouldn't have to fit a certain image to like a certain kind of music. If the music moves you, listen.

Where would that Baby baby song be if the guys from Trent didn't like it enough to poke fun at it. I listened to their cover of that tune and had to admit that it was a decent song. It is so rare these days that I can latch onto a band. I can be surgical in my choice of music now. I listen to samples of and buy individual tracks that I like. The other day I picked up an entire album but I also picked up a live track of Tracy Chapman. WTF? I don't like Tracy Chapman, but that tune was right on. If the music moves me, I'll listen.

Off topic

I notice that you consistently visit my blog as John and Lisa V's blog as the intorpor42. Whats the deal with the multiple personalities?

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 10:43:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

We like to confuse. ;-)

No, it all stems back to when I revamped my blog a month or two ago and changed URLs and user names. That was around the time that I started commenting on your blog and I was still unsure of my new name (still am, I don't know if I like it). I had changed it like 5 times, so in an attempt to avoid confusion, I just signed my comments "john" in case I changed it again. Plus, I thought "john" was a lot less "freaky blog interloper guy" than inatorpor42.

Later on I followed Lisa V. back to her blog from yours and I wanted to write a comment to one of her posts. However, her blog is set up where you have to be a registered Blogger user in order to post. So, instead of being able to choose the "other" identity option like on yours, sass's, or mine, I had to log in as "inatorpor42."

So, in my attempt to avoid confusion, I only created more. Maybe I'll just change my display name to "john." I know that's unoriginal and boring, but that may just mean that it fits in perfectly with the theme of this blog.

either that or I can find an Iron & Wine lyric to use ;-)

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 12:27:00 PM  
Blogger john said...

Hey Billy, what's shakin'?

Yes, "the snow falls hard and don't you know..."

Monday in the 70s. Yesterday in the 60s. Today, 3-6 inches of snow. Tomorrow, low 50s. Welcome to Colorado.

So, is that Minnesota winter showing you No Quarter?

Regarding your wikipedia link: this guy must have been pretty big or something. I've noticed that Google has tons of similar links. Just in case you are wondering, none of the other links that come up will show you what you are possibly looking for.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 3:08:00 PM  
Blogger Lance said...

I like John,
It's so boring that it has come full circle and is interesting again. I'll bet your one of the only Johns in the Blogverse. Everyone else johnny5neutron or some bullshit like that. But it wouldn't hurt to pick an Iron & Wine lyric either.

Have you ever heard his unrealeased stuff or his home recordings? I don't know how I ended up with them, but I've got about 25 tracks of songs from Endless Numbered Days that he recorded all low-fi on an eight track before he released the Album. I've also got some shit that has been released with Calexico. That album was a disappointment but the origianal Iron & Wine songs as sung by him in his basement or wherever are fantasic.

It might be worth seeing if you can find them online anywhere if you don't already have them.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 7:48:00 AM  
Blogger john said...

LSD-

I will definitely check it out those I&W recordings. I have this strange phenomenon that happens from time to time: I wake up to pleasantly find whole music albums sitting on my computer's hard drive. I will let you know if the music fairy leaves any I&W for me to find...

Ok, I think it is official then. I will here on out be known simply (and boringly) as "john." My mother would be so proud that I am finally embracing my unoriginal, biblically-inspired nomenclature.

I agree with you that music shouldn't be about image, but about what you enjoy. My music tastes encompass all genres, and my collection is fairly eclectic. It bugs me when people think that they must listen to "rap" or "rock" or whatever category exclusively. I have a simple rule: if I like it, then I listen to it. If it makes my ears bleed, then I don't. I also don't feel the need to dress like the music I listen to. If I am listening to heavy metal, I don't dress all in black and try to project the image of "headbanger." If I am listening to rap, I don't turn my ballcap to the side to be a "gangsta." Sometimes I wonder if those people really like that kind of music, or just like the image associated with it.

BTW, what music goes with dress shirts and slacks?

Thursday, March 09, 2006 11:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home