Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I Used to Think Time Was On My Side, I Used to Think the World Could Be So Kind; That Was Another Day, That Was Another Time

Wednesday. This has been another busy day in what has so far been a very busy week. I have been trying to crank out these spreadsheet reports all morning, but I am falling behind due to things that keep coming up. I had one heated incident regarding an order that I wouldn't release off of financial hold. Supposedly it was an emergency order, but as I've said before, if you are a sales rep and you have something that has to go out the door immediately, make sure you have everything together before you send it, otherwise it will just waste more time when I have to go back and request all of the corresponding documentation a bunch of times. Apparently the sales higher-ups were in the Big Boss Lady's office "sharing words" (as the Big Boss Lady put it) over this issue. However, when it was all said and done, the BBL called me up and told me I acted exactly as I should have and did absolutely nothing wrong. She said not to take it personally because I was just doing the job that she hired me to do and I did it well. So, sure, I ticked off a lot of the upper sales management, but at least my boss likes me...

On top of that, I am dealing with website database issues. Something is screwed up and since the upload is tomorrow, I am trying to fix it now ahead of time instead of on the fly. Of course, it probably will still be screwed up, but at least I tried...

So, I have some new music today. Well, it's new to me and to this blog. I was out searching for random music on a whim, and I came across a sort of hip-hop remix of Jack Johnson's Breakdown. I had heard this tune on the radio a few times and thought it was pretty good, so I decided to check out more of the album. This tune was put together by a duo named Handsome Boy Modeling School, which I thought was a horrible name for a band until I read that they were inspired to name themselves that after watching an episode of Get a Life by Chris Elliot. Since for years I thought I was the absolutely only one who ever watched Get a Life faithfully, I found a new found respect for this moniker choice.

Handsome Boy Modeling School is made up of two main members, one formerly of De La Soul and the other from the Gorillaz. They have two albums out, and they mostly consist of hip-hop tracks and remixes with guest appearances from a wide variety of artists (Mike D., Sean Lennon, Del the Funky Homosapien, Cat Power, etc). Reviews of both albums were very favorable, however, pretty much every review for the second album (the one with that Jack Johnson remix on it) said to get the first album before the second one. So, I got both albums and listened to the first one this morning.

I enjoyed So, How's Your Girl. I have mentioned this before on this blog, but I've pretty much grown bored of rap music. Not that I don't like the genre of rap or hip hop music, in fact, quite the opposite. I enjoy phat beats and tight rhymes just as much as the next receivables accountant, but the whole gangsta thing is getting a bit old and overdone. However, this album proves that you can have great beats, good music and tight lyrics and not have to dip into the gangsta well for the bajillionth time. It's albums like these that just might get me to listen to hip-hop again. Eh, it's probably just an anomaly.

Anyway, I liked this album. I recommend it for anyone just as jaded who is looking for something refreshing in the hip-hop genre. I'm looking forward to checking out album #2 tomorrow morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home