Wednesday, September 07, 2005

You’ve Been Chosen as an Extra in the Movie Adaptation of the Sequel to Your Life

Wednesday. Well, I was hoping to get caught up in some of my vendor database entries today since I've been so busy lately, but the system just went down so I guess that isn't going to happen. Now I get to try to figure out what I'm going to do for the next couple of hours that doesn't have to be done in the system. I could file... but I think I'll opt for writing today's blog entry instead. Now I just wish I had something to talk about.

Today I listened to Slanted & Enchanted by Pavement. Now, I think I've touched on this subject before on this site, so please excuse the repetition. Many music insiders and people "in the know" consider Slanted & Enchanted not only the best Pavement album, but also one of the most influential albums of the past 20 years. Ok, I love Pavement and all, but this one isn't my favorite album. I prefer Brighten the Corners, personally. Of course, I'm neither a music insider nor a person "in the know" about anything. I'm not even a musician. I'm just some dude who likes to listen to music (please keep this caveat in mind when reading this and other reviews).

Maybe I prefer Brighten the Corners because it was the first Pavement album I had. I remember the first time I heard the song Stereo on the college radio here in town. Once they hit the "Geddy Lee" line of the song, I knew I had to find out just who this band was. Pavement released their first album Slanted & Enchanted in 1992. It was hailed as the next big thing, and is credited for ushering in the "lo-fi slacker movement" of the '90s (lucky for me, since I had been a genuine slacker since the mid-80s). So, all the hipsters knew of Pavement years before I did. So what. I once saw Pearl Jam in a club for $7. You don't hear me bragging about it, do you? Well, except for just now. And that time in the break room last week when we were all talking about concerts we'd seen. And that time when we were all... ok, never mind. All you early Pavement fans are far better than me and I bow down to your superiority! Is that what you want to hear?! Are you satisfied now?!!!

Whoa... sorry about that. Weird things happen when the system goes down and I am over-caffeinated. Anyway, Pavement is cool. All the albums are good, but I like Brighten the Corners best. Ok, time to go file or something now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home