Friday, September 09, 2005

It Takes a Miracle Just to Survive

Friday. Yeah! Not much going on at work today. I had a big spreadsheet report to do this morning and now I am just doing odds and ends to catch up. Other than that I am just trying to coast to the weekend. Tomorrow is Potato Day in Greeley, Colorado, and I plan to be in attendance. This is an annual full-out celebration of the beloved spud, and who am I to miss out on free baked potatoes and all the fixin's? I mean I would even go to Greeley for that.

Since today is Friday and I needed something to get my weekend kicked off right, I listened to Beck's Midnight Vultures on the way into work. Now Beck typically has some upbeat tunes on his releases, but this is a true "get-up-and-dance" album (which actually made it difficult for me since I was trying to drive my car at the time). I read somewhere once that Beck said he wanted to release an album of every genre of music, even a country album. Before you laugh, listen to songs like Rowboat from Stereopathetic Soul Manure and then tell me he couldn't pull it off. Anyway, I had heard that this was his tribute to his 70's funk influences, and it shows on tracks like Nicotine & Gravy, Mixed Bizness and Sexx Laws. Another good track on this album is Debra, which I guess was originally slated for Odelay, but he ultimately decided didn't fit. Now, I know that Beck is real popular and he's a goofy guy and all, but I seriously think he is one of the most talented, defining artists of my generation. That is, the kids who grew up in the '90s. You know, the "slackers." I hate saying things like "he is our generation's Bob Dylan" because there is only one Bob Dylan and it's Bob Dylan. He is our generation's Beck, and that's a darn good thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home