Tuesday, September 06, 2005

You Can Run All Your Life But Not Go Anywhere

Tuesday. Well, since we got yesterday off, no one can complain about having "a bad case of the Mondays." Instead, I am having a three-day weekend hangover of sorts. I definitely got spoiled by the long weekend because I have been just dragging today. I am working on a spreadsheet today and fending off nagging co-workers who just won't leave me alone today. I guess they actually expect me to work and stuff.

Ok, so my college football predictions were a little off last week, but really not by much. First, I was dead on about USC whipping up on Hawaii. Tennessee beat UA-Birmingham in an un-televised game, but not nearly by the margin I expected. After that, my prognostications went awry. Wyoming failed to beat Florida and Colorado State blew an 11-point lead over CU to lose in the final seconds by a FG. Terrible! How can someone play three outstanding quarters just to give away the game to your biggest rival? Oh well. So, we lost at football. At least we can get the initials of our school in the right order.

I listened to one of my personal favorite bands this morning, Social Distortion. Social Distortion plays their own distinctive brand of punk rock. They don't play thrash, and they don't play pop. Yet, it isn't traditional punk either. Sometimes it is a slowed-down version, like Bad Luck or Born To Lose, but they can still rock out like on Mommy's Little Monster. The version of Don't Drag Me Down on Live at the Roxy is particularly kickin'. If you don't have a copy of Roxy, then you must immediately ask your boss/spouse/co-workers/first grade class to excuse you while you go out and get it right now. I'm serious, go. I'll wait.

Back yet? Ok. I have said many times on this site that lyrics are what really drive my affection for a band. Social Distortion is a perfect example of this particular axiom. I swear sometimes I think they write songs just for me. I can seriously relate. Songs not mentioned above that you should also check out: Ball and Chain, Story of My Life, I Was Wrong and every other Social D tune.

1 Comments:

Blogger john said...

Wow. See, it's these genuine, heartfelt comments that really makes this all worth it.

Thanks, anonymous!

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 11:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home