Monday, September 12, 2005

This Monkey's Gone to Heaven

Monday. Today has been an odds and ends kind of day. I have been working on a handful of projects, approving vendor orders and handling liability insurance requests for the most part. Not exactly amusement park levels of fun, but it is keeping me busy.

Well, if you are a football fan from Fort Collins, CO, last weekend was pretty rough. I saw my Rammies get absolutely mutilated by the Minnesota Gophers and the Denver Broncos exhibited the worst football I've witnessed on their part since they let Corey Dillon break the single game rushing record on them a few years back.

My call of Ohio State over Texas was off (though I was close...), but I was good on my Iowa State upset prediction. And I was completely 100% right on when I said that both Tennessee and USC wouldn't play (gotta take your victories where you can).

The good news is that I listened to an absolutely outstanding album this morning, Doolittle by The Pixies. I have known about The Pixies for a while now, but always as the band that Frank Black and Kim Deal were in before they went on to do other things (Deal was in The Breeders, Black went solo and did Los Angeles). I knew they were supposed to be one of the most influential bands of the late '80s/early '90s blah blah blah but I never ventured a listen. Why the holdout? I have no idea. These guys definitely lived up to the hype. I really liked this album. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, though. This collection is all over the place. They do punk, alternative, a love song, several tracks I can't define in a genre, and even what sounds like an early '60s throwback in Here Comes Your Man. I've read in several places that The Pixies heavily influenced Nirvana. I don't really hear it, but I can definitely hear their influence in Pavement and early Modest Mouse. This is one of the best albums I have heard in a long time. Expect a review of The Pixies' Surfer Rosa tomorrow.